Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Information on the case of Gregory V. City of Chicago 1969?

Im doing a project for government and it has to be 5 minutes long. I need a lot of information on Gregory V. City of Chicago 1969 to make my presentation hit the time limit! PLEASE HELP!

I have to answer the following questions:

1. Facts of case (What is it about)

2. What is the constitutional case?

3. Describe the road case took to get to the supreme court

4. How did supreme court decide what was the verdict?

5. What did it do?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • xo379
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

--Petitioners/peaceful demonstrators were arrested and charged with disorderly conduct when they failed to follow the orders of the Chicago police, who ordered them to disperse. The Chicago police had anticipated the civil disorder because of the bystanders' "unruly conduct." As described by the court: "Petitioners, accompanied by Chicago police and an assistant city attorney, marched in a peaceful and orderly procession from city hall to the mayor's residence to press their claims for desegregation of the public schools. Having promised to cease singing at 8:30 p. m., the marchers did so. Although petitioners and the other demonstrators continued to march in a completely lawful fashion, the onlookers became unruly as the number of bystanders increased...Chicago police, to prevent what they regarded as an impending civil disorder, demanded that the demonstrators, upon pain of arrest, disperse. When this command was not obeyed, petitioners were arrested for disorderly conduct. "

The march, if it was truly peaceful, would fall within the sphere of conduct that the First Amendment protects (Shuttlesworth v. City of Birmingham; Brown vs. Louisiana; Fields vs. South Carolina.)

The court ruled that there was NO evidence that the march or the people involved in the march were acting in a disorderly war. So, under the principle *established in Thompson vs. City of Louisville*, the petitioners were not breaking the law. The court said that the petitioners were not convicted for the way they acted during the march, BUT for their refusal to obey the orders of the police.

You will find TONS here: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?c...

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Information on the case of Gregory V. City of Chicago 1969?

Im doing a project for government and it has to be 5 minutes long. I need a lot of information on Gregory V. City of Chicago 1969 to make my presentation hit the time limit! PLEASE HELP!

I have to answer the following questions:

1. Facts of case (What is it about)

2. What is the...

Source(s): information case gregory city chicago 1969: https://biturl.im/NC7UN
  • lafkas
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Gregory V Chicago

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/Cv5XA

The court ruled that there was no evidence that the march or the people involved in the march were acting in a disorderly way. So, under the principle *established in Thompson vs. City of Louisville*, the petitioners were not breaking the law. The court said that the petitioners were not convicted for the way they acted during the march, but for their refusal to obey the orders of the police. Thus, the critical point is that they refused to obey a direct police order!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.