Kuchii asked in TravelSpainOther - Spain · 1 decade ago

Castilla y León and León in Spain?

I'm doing a report for my spanish class and was assigned the province León, but as I keep looking for geographical information all I see is Castilla y Leon! I'm very confused because the map my teacher gave us has León next to Asturias and Galicia, and there is no Castilla y León province.

Did León merge with Castilla?

Best Answer

Castilla y Leon is one of the seventeen autonomous communities of Spain. Each community is divided into provinces.

Leon is a province of Castilla y Leon.

Here's a link for you where you can find a lot of info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le%C3%B3n,_Spain

León is a city, (and a province) and Castilla y León is the Región Autónoma. And, yeah...the Merger happened long ago, the Región used to be known as Castilla la Nueva until about 15 years ago...I´m not sure what the actual date was.

I´ll bet you can find it in your research though.

If your assignment is on the PROVINCE, then it´s León. If it is on the Autonomous region (roughly comparable to a US State, or a Canadian Province) then you are looking for Castilla-León, or Castilla y León.

Castilla y Leon is a Region.

That region has 9 provinces, the province in the north west corner of the region being Leon, with the city of Leon sitting pretty well central in that province.