Kuchii asked in TravelSpainOther - Spain · 1 decade ago

Castilla y León and León in Spain?

I'm doing a report for my spanish class and was assigned the province León, but as I keep looking for geographical information all I see is Castilla y Leon! I'm very confused because the map my teacher gave us has León next to Asturias and Galicia, and there is no Castilla y León province.

Did León merge with Castilla?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Castilla y Leon is one of the seventeen autonomous communities of Spain. Each community is divided into provinces.

Leon is a province of Castilla y Leon.

Here's a link for you where you can find a lot of info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le%C3%B3n,_Spain

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

León is a city, (and a province) and Castilla y León is the Región Autónoma. And, yeah...the Merger happened long ago, the Región used to be known as Castilla la Nueva until about 15 years ago...I´m not sure what the actual date was.

I´ll bet you can find it in your research though.

If your assignment is on the PROVINCE, then it´s León. If it is on the Autonomous region (roughly comparable to a US State, or a Canadian Province) then you are looking for Castilla-León, or Castilla y León.

• 1 decade ago

Castilla y Leon is a Region.

That region has 9 provinces, the province in the north west corner of the region being Leon, with the city of Leon sitting pretty well central in that province.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.