Questions about Peru.?

1. What are the main sports in Peru?

2. Festive days? (Celebrated everywhere around Peru?)

3. What is a typical dish to eat, and what else is popular?

4. Best attraction/tourist sites in Peru?

Thanks! Provide a link if possible with your answers.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi. My wife is from Peru and shes says:

1. The most popular sport by far is 'futbol' - soccer as they call in the US. Also volleyball, basketball as you do not have to be rich to play these. Folks with more money might do tennis and be in the posh club. One sport that we never see in the UK is 'Fronton' - another cheap one. They also have some very good surfers - places in the north like Mancora are surfer destinations.

2. Main religious events like Christmas and Easter are often public holidays. There are national days like Mothers Day, Valentines Day, Halloween, 1st of November is the Day of the Dead, Mayday - the first of may for workers. Independence day is 28th July. Each city has its own festive day, Arequipa is 15th August.

3. Foods can very depending on where you are in the country. Most food is often locally sourced, so if you live by the coast, you might eat more seafood, if you lived in the mountains you might eat more potatoes and meat, and in the jungles you would eat other foods.

Some food is very common in Peru. The Chinese immigrants in the past have created a popular food called 'Chifa' which is like a fast food that is quite cheap. People all over peru eat potatoes and corn (potatoes came from this region). Famous dishes are 'Lomo Saltado', 'Arroz con Pollo', 'Papa a la Huancayna' and 'Cebiche' which is made from raw fish and lemon. Peru has had many immigrants from all over the world so their quisine is very interesting. I have put a wikipedia link below that will help.

When I go to Peru I enjoy the fact that the food is so good. The climate/s of Peru means that there is a lot of fresh produce, really sweet fruit and tasty veg and creative cooks as well.

4. Of course Machu Picchu is world famous, but Peru has much more to offer. It has every type of climate, people go mountain climbing in snow capped mountains, surfing on tropical beaches, exploring on the Amazon river, there are deserts in the south. It is a very interesting place and people who fly in to see Machu Picchu and fly out again are missing a lot.

My wife comes from Arequipa, which is a beautiful city built from white volcanic stone. It has some interesting things to visit their like the Santa Catalina Monestery and a few hours away the Colca Canyon, which is deeper than the grand canyon where you can see ancient farming terraces and go white water rafting.

You can explore the Amazon from the city of Iquitos in the north of Peru, staying in a jungle cabin and going for walks to see jungle wildlife or meeting the people from the jungles. If you go to the northern beaches around Mancora, you can stay in a beach hut and surf and sunbathe and see amazing sunsets.

I hope that is helpful and that you can visit Peru one day!

• 1 decade ago

Hey,

hope i can help you out with these answers

1. the main national sport is football as is for most latin american countries. For indoor sports chess is popular and also volleyball (esp women's volleyball) and from the results of the olympics in the past 20 years, they are very good at it. Younger people are more going towards surfing as well.

2. have a look on http://perufolklore1.com/FESTIVAL.aspx and that has a whole page dedicated to the important dates of the Peruvian Calendar

3. i suggest having a look at this website for a list of popular dishes

http://www.questconnect.org/peru_food.htm

4. of all places you have not been to peru until you see Machu Picchu. if you go on peru's official tourist website, it lists the top 10 tourist attractions and also has a festival calender on it too

http://www.visitperu.com/

hope i've helped a bit for you.

Source(s): some of them i know being latin american myself and others i googled for you.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1. The number one sport is SOCCER! They are absolutely nuts about soccer. Believe me, my husband is Peruvian! They also play basketball and volleyball. Some play tennis. Baseball and American football are not common.

2. Christmas is very big. So is New Year´s Day. They drink hot chocolate and eat Panetón around Christmas season. Mother´s Day is also very big. Father´s Day is not as big as Mother´s Day. July 28th is independance day.

3. A typical dish is Lomo Saltado (just made this yesterday!) It has tomatoes, ají (chile), beef strips, onions, french fries with some vinegar and soy sauce. You serve it with rice. Very good!

Menestrón is a soup made from pureed spinach, basil and fresh cheese (like cotija) with cubed beef, celery, carrots, potatoes, beans, cabbage, and noodles. Yummy!

Emoliente is a sweet herbal drink that´s sold in the morning and at night.

Some desserts are picarones, arroz con leche (rice pudding), mazamorra, king kong, turrón de doña pepa, suspiro a la limeña, marcianos (in the summer), etc.

There are so many dishes in Perú. Others are Ají de Gallina, Seco de Carne, Chupe de Pescado, Estofado de Pollo, Tallarines Verdes, Tallarines Rojos, etc. and of course Ceviche!

4. Machu PIcchu, the Nazca Lines, La Plaza de Armas, and Lake Titicaca are some attractions. Some nice places to visit are Máncora (the beaches are beautiful), Lima, Arequipa, Iquitos (the Amazon Jungle), etc.

Source(s): lived in Peru
  • 1 decade ago

1.Soccer or Futboll as it is called there is the favorite national pastime as sports are concerned, even in small villages they will have a dirt Soccor field where people go to play, you will see little kids with a worn soccor ball playing in the dirt fields.In the board game of Chess, Peru has 2 Grand Masters and 9 International Masters other popular sports in Peru include volleyball, basketball, tennis and golf. Among traditional sports bullfighting, horse racing and cockfighting are widely enjoyed in Lima and other major cities of Peru.

2.In the Andean Highland regions of Peru Chicha (corn Beer) is popular, chuño or dried potatoes are a staple as is Quinea Pig (Cuy) The potato was first domesticated in Peru approximately 4,500 years ago. The potato and quinoa (pronounced Keen-Wa ) grain remain as two of the main staples of the Quechua diet.

In the major cities "National Dishes" such as Aji de Gallina a shredded chicken in a spiced milk sauce, Anticuchos are a marinated grilled beef heart, my favorite is Papa la Huancaina they are Potatoes served with a special spicy sauce, olives, lettuce and egg.

Everywhere roast cuy or guinea pig is considered a delicacy.

Peru is also well known for this famous dish called Ceviche, it is raw fish or raw fish mixed shrimp with lemon and lime. The seafood is cut into small pieces and then mixed with lemon juice and left to sit for 1hr, the lemon and lime cooks the fish and seafood. Next, it is mixed with onions, celery, cilantro, salt and black pepper and then served cold.

4.The Nazca Lines are the mysterious legacy left by a culture that flourished in 300 BC, vast drawings of animals, deities and geometric lines that cover 50 sq km of the Nazca Desert.

Sacsayhuaman in Cuzco even after five centuries after the fall of the Inca empire the titanic fortress of Sacsayhuamán now as in Inca times this is where the festival Inti Raymi is held.

Machu Picchu are the ancient ruins of the Inca Empire said to have been constructed in the 15th century before the Spanish explorers arrived, Machu Pichu was rediscovered by Yale archaeologist Hiram Bingham in 1911, in the indigenous language Quechua Machu Picchu means "old peak".

Pachacámac in Lurin is an intriguing archaeological excavation with many impressive pyramids, temples and fresco paintings dating back to 200 AD.Pachacámac was once a pre-Inca site for the worship of the god of creation.

Other places of interest are the Museums like The National Museum in San Borja, it is the most important museum in Lima with exhibits spreading over three rambling floors that include scale models of Peru's most major ruins and showcases their highly advanced ceramics and textiles from pre-inca to colonial times

The National Museum of Archeology, Anthropology and History in the Capital of Lima is an ideal starting point for understanding Peru's complex cultural history.

The street musician found everywhere add to the ambiance and the local markets where the locals shop are a wonderful place to purchase Peruvian crafts and art.

Other interesting Facts are that Quechua or (Kechwa) is the mother tongue of Peru. Quechua was spoken before the Spanish invasion in 1532.To gain control upon arrival Spain forcefully imposed their foreign language of Spanish on the indigenous people as well as their Religion of the old world" Catholicism.

Quechua is still spoken today in most of the highland areas along with Spanish. Spanish is spoken in the major cities as the primary language although you will hear Quechua spoken there by the Highland people who come to the City Markets to sell hand crafts.

The earth based religion of the "Pachamama" or Earth Mother is still practiced today with Catholicism intertwined with the traditional ways. Throughout Peru various Western Religions are practiced with Catholicism as the primary Christian faith left over from the Spanish Inquisition.

Below are the Key words that I googled to find the information, there is so much interesting information, you may discover more that I have included, have fun you have picked an interesting topic!

Source(s): Google, Peruvian food, Andean food ,Quechua traditions,Peruvian Festivals , Peruvian traditions, Peru Landmarks,Peru Museums and Galleries 15 years of Andean studies with a focus on Peru and the traditional Quechuan people.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

"fulbito" is the most important sport in Peru

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Transportation: cars, taxis, buses, rickshaw taxis (they carry 2-3 passengers). Locals mainly travel on the buses if they do not own a car. They can range from combi vans to full sized buses. I dont recall many trains except for the touristy ones.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.