Why Do Most Radical Professors Wear Tweed Jackets?

You can spot a radical professor like you can spot a member of Al Qaeda they all look the same- Some of those teachers look like hippies with tie-die shirts , its so sad that they live in the past and have such a problem growing up with the rest of modern Americans!

Have scuffy faces, Pony tails, greenpeace keychains, glasses and brown leather purses? Why do they all look the same and talk in the real sweet quite tone? Is that in the Saul Alinsky rule book to look not to only sound like a moron but look like one too?

That moron thing didn't come out right- but you know what I mean!

Do they make those jackets still? Or do you have to go to a estate sale to get one

Best Answer

I've been out of college for several years, but in the Alinsky days, they used to drive Volkswagen Beetles. Not for the gas mileage, but because they were "the people's car."

They used to sit around the fire drinking brandy and discussing the worlds problems. Afterwards they would congratulate each other on their collective brilliance.

Today they smoke a joint, drop some LSD, then meet their comrades at Starbucks don't they?

I can't resist responding to broad stereotyping.

I recently returned to university to pick up a second degree in my professional specialty. While there - and this is a small school in the Ozarks - I had occasion to take several classes in American Government, Sociology, and Criminal Justice, known hang-outs of liberal professors.

Their attire ran the gamut from the aforementioned tweed jackets, to button down long sleeve shits, to t-shirts. There was no single "look."

My favorite, however, was a Dr. of English. This man, a high level black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and an instructor of that art, always wore a brimmed hat, which he unfailing removed from his head whenever he entered a building. His wardrobe was such that, during the course of a semester, he wore a different sports jacket every day, without repeating one until almost Finals. I haven't a clue as to his politics, but his taste in clothing was impeccable!

i'm guessing it has to do with the good previous Ivy League faculties. That became in all probability a difficulty-loose look for professors at Harvard, Yale, Stanford by using countless the final century. So whilst people think of of better guidance they want to visualise perfect educators on the main accepted faculties.

• DAR

My marxist tax professor wore oxford cloth and polo shirts.

I don't think I ever saw him in a jacket.

Saul Alinsky;s son praises Obama.

Son sees father's handiwork in convention

ALL THE elements were present: the individual stories told by real people of their situations and hardships, the packed-to-the rafters crowd, the crowd's chanting of key phrases and names, the action on the spot of texting and phoning to show instant support and commitment to jump into the political battle, the rallying selections of music, the setting of the agenda by the power people. The Democratic National Convention had all the elements of the perfectly organized event, Saul Alinsky style.

Barack Obama's training in Chicago by the great community organizers is showing its effectiveness. It is an amazingly powerful format, and the method of my late father always works to get the message out and get the supporters on board. When executed meticulously and thoughtfully, it is a powerful strategy for initiating change and making it really happen. Obama learned his lesson well.

I am proud to see that my father's model for organizing is being applied successfully beyond local community organizing to affect the Democratic campaign in 2008. It is a fine tribute to Saul Alinsky as we approach his 100th birthday.

L. DAVID ALINSKY

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinio...

Tweed is the new turban.

• M&T

Those types of jackets make it easy to sew your liberal talking points inside the sleeve.

For whatever reason, tweed jackets have long been a fashion staple for professors, whether liberal or conservative. Criticizing on the basis of dress is rather superficial and childish.

Because tweed is green material, but I worry about the bomb vest under it.

• jz

yeah, i noticed that. that must be the accepted uniform of the liberal professor. i think you are on to something profound here.