Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Dino asked in SportsFootball (American) · 1 decade ago

How good of a punter do I have to be in order to be the starting punter for my J.V. high school team next year?

I'm playing football for my high school that I'm going to next year and I'm going to be a freshman so I am pretty sure I'm going to be on J.V. so I just wanted to know what is a good punting average and a good hangtime for me to be the starting punter for my High school next year.

Thanks.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • GMP
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

for j.v. i would say 35 yards would be a good distance but if u can hit 40 u'd be pretty good

*edit- think about this tho, that most punters are also the kicker, and place kicker too and also practice is very boring for u lol u go out there for 2-3 hours kicking field goals and punting the ball so i would suggest also having something else in mind too so at least ur not bored out of ur mind

• 1 decade ago

You have to be a better punter than the rest of the guys on your team. If he punts 35 yards and hang time of 3.5 seconds then you have to be at least 36 yards and 3.6 seconds. If you cannot figure that out then you don't deserve to wear the uniform. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

• Rob B
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

To be the starting punter for JV you just have to be the second best punter in your school.

• 1 decade ago

47 yd

5.7 sec

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.