Do schools have the authority to punish students for illegal activities that happen outside of school?

I'm doing a debate in school, and I took the con side. Please give some ideas for my argument, some examples to back it up, and also what the pro side would argue.

also i'm not asking whether the schools actually have the right to, i'm asking if they should.

• Steve
    Favorite Answer

There was a recent supreme court case on a related issue. Do a web search for "bong hits for Jesus" (really, I'm not joking).

Here's one brief article on it below. Basically, the court ruled the school could punish the student, but it was 5-4 vote.

• Nick R

Yes, depending on the circumstances. For instance, the case of the "craisgslist killer" is currently working its way through the court system.

In that case, the suspect was a pre-med student at a university. Upon learning that he had been arrested as the person suspected of homicide, his school took adverse action against him (suspending him from school until such time his criminal case is decided).

o yeah they are aloud to fire people if your doing illegal activities like crack and that kind of stuff or you can not be a teacher if u went to jail for illegal abuse on kids or adults or doing drugs and yeah they do have the right to punish kids in school for out side stuff like if you said you were gonna kill some one the could expel u from school because you could hurt some one else at the school to and you would get expelled from school hope i help love ya taytay101

Source(s): me and only me !!!!!!!!
  • jdw

As a coach,I know we have team rules against drugs as well as a curfew before games. These would be offenses outside of school. Thes rules are made to stress the importance of maintaining a fit body for life and for competition.

If your activities don't affect the school in some way, then they're really none of their business. However, almost anything you do in public can be interpreted to reflect upon the school somehow.

Yes they do. Employers have the right to fire employees for unethical behavior outside of work. Schools to students is the same type of relationship. Good luck

• Sean r

I do not believe that they should have the right to do that