Ashford University.Regionally Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission? Quick Question what does that mean?

What does it mean when a Online University is Regionally Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission?

The University is Ashford, They have a main Campus.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

MANY online programs are not accredited, the HLC IS a credible agency, the same one that accredits any decent college or university (actual and online) in that area of the country. While online degree programs are generally less prestigious, having any degree from a regionally or nationally accredited school is valid. The fact that it's online is another discussion but the HLC is a regional accrediting agency and is 100% legit.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Ashford University Regionally Accredited

• Rob B
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I can accredit myself and it doesn't mean anything. You have to see what other schools this commission accredits and at what level.

This commission is legit and does accredit some reputable universities. However, Ashford is not among them. It is listed as an "Authorized Postsecondary Institution" which puts it on par with some trucking schools, the Red Cross, etc.

What that means it that a degree from there is not going to be held in the same light as it would be from a regular university.

If you have to do on-line, a lot of good school offer on-line programs now. Just check them out instead of one of these schools.

• 1 decade ago

First, you need to make sure that any school that you attend is nationally accredited, or the paper you walk away with is not recognized in all places. Differences being a certificate that some people accept, to a degree, that all people accept.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It means your degree will be laughed at by employers. My place of work refuses to hire someone with an online degree. Sorry. You need to enroll in a real university.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.