Courtney asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Does anyone else get discouraged when they try a diet and don't lose weight right away?

I always start a diet with the best intentions and do really well for like...the 1st month then after I hit a plateu I get so frustrated that I'm not losing weight as quickly as I'd like I just give up and eat whatever and gain it all back! I recently lost 14 pounds, hit a plateu, go mad, and gained 7 back just like that. Like it was nothing. It's so annoying. And don't tell me I'm just not being patient and it's not going to happen over night. I obviously know that, I just need some guidance, or motivation, or tip to push me through when I feel like quitting when I don't see results!

Favorite Answer

I choose a diet that forms a part of my lifestyle. I do not eat because I want to loose weight, I eat because what I eat is good for me. Surprisingly I eat everything, but do not put weight on. It is not because I can't get fat. I was blowing up once. I just make sure that most of what I eat are not fattening foods. If you read my postings, you will note that I suggest that persons eat 60% vegetables of which 50% should be eaten raw. 20% fresh fruits and vegetables, 10% carbohydrates (mainly yams, potatoes, green bananas, pumpkins etc), 10% proteins inclusive of fats. I stick as closely to that as possible. I buy beef from the meat shop and request fat on my cut of meat. I do not strip chicken. I eat ice cream and some sweets.

You will not find me eating the same thing for no more than two consecutive days. If I eat ice cream, I eat it along with fruits and nuts (much more fruits than ice cream). Most of my main meals are mainly fresh raw vegetables. I do not eat bread everyday. I have porridge sometimes and bammy (cassava cake) other times. My favorite is green banana porridge (blend the banana in the skin to make the porridge). Cornmeal or corn are two others I have and sometimes oats. I will sometimes have a full bowl of pure vegetables or a stomach full of pure fruits. It is very important to eat everything - not just any thing. Eat different things everyday. Just make sure that most of what you eat is of fresh raw vegetables followed by fruits. Snack on nuts, seeds and fruits and walk each day while you drink lots of water (8 to 10 glasses.) Focus on eating healthy and the weight will go eventually.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AgzUF...

• 53108

You gotta change your lifestyle, and stop dieting. Find something that fits. Something that has enough food you aren't hungry--healthy food, good exercise, and you can maintain your health. For me, vegetarian, yoga, and walking a few times a week did it. I lost 115lbs in 3 years, and have kept it off for about 4. Had a baby last year, and only gained 12lbs from the pregnancy, and lost a little more than 35 since then. It's just a healthier lifestyle you need to find. It shouldn't be a lot of work because if it is, you won't stick to it.

It's been about a year, and I've lost fifty pounds. Really, I think the best way to lose weight, and the one that requires the least amount of effort, is through lifestyle changes. I got a job that made me walk all the times. I go to a university, I sometimes have to walk half a mile in four minutes to get to my next class. So really, consider lifestyle changes. Find a new job if your current one is sedentary. Get a dog and walk him every day. Oh, and eat right - you don't need a doctor to tell you whether you should choose fish or beef when ordering a taco.

I know how you feel. I too, struggled with my weight constantly. Like you found that no matter which diet I tried, unfortunately the weight never managed to stay off.

So just over 3 years ago I decided to make lifestyle changes. These were to eat a healthy sensible diet along with regular exercise. The results were absolutely amazing. I managed to lose 48lbs in just over 6 months. I have since then been able to maintain my weight with ease.

You need to learn how to choose, prepare and enjoy a balanced, low fat diet with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. Eat lean meats, poultry with no skin on, fish with scales on (not in batter or breadcrumbs), lots of vegetables and fresh fruit, eggs, beans & pulses, low fat dairy products, skimmed milk, non sugary bevereages, and non sugary cereals.

You MUST KEEP all junk foods, ready made processed meals, sugary fizzy drinks, alcohol and takeaway meals to an absolute minimum. These are high in sugar and full of saturated fat. The two main ingredients which are responsible for that extra weight gain. REMEMBER junk food is just what it says - JUNK. With one added ingredient in - FAT.

Try to include as many wholefoods into your diet as you can. Such as brown bread, brown rice, brown pasta, beans & pulses. These are high in fibre and will keep you feeling fuller for longer.

Eat 3 regular meals a day at regular times. ALWAYS starting with breakfast. This way you are less likely to snack in between.

Sit down to eat your meals, take time over them. Paying particular attention to what you are eating.

Try to MOVE as much as you can. EXERCISE will really help to acelerate your weight loss. The best activity is one you can do on a regular basis. So it is important you find something you like.

I took up running and now run a regular basis. But there are so many other exercise you can do.

Once you have reached your realistic goal. Remember, if you go back to your old eating habits and activity levels. Unfortunately, you will put all the weight back on again. It is as simple as that.

Stay realistic. You have a life to live and enjoy. So hang on to the satisfaction of being a comfortable, healthy weight you can to sustain.

Good Luck.

Haha I've tried every diet possible. The worst kinds for my body (starving, binging, throwing up, diet pills, blah blah. )

i'm finally resorting to the natural way and i LOVE it. fitness makes me incredibly happy and its like my own personal diet pill.

its not about how long you are in the gym on a given day, its about the consistency of the gym.

if you find that going every day is hard, don't just quit. make it every other day. never never never give up.

i made that promise ot myself.

weight control is one of the most frustrating things and can alter our moods in just miliseconds. so remember the techniques- its all consistency.

also, what you gain might just be bloating and water weight, that stuff makes a huge diff. remmber to drink lots of water to flush everything out! i swear it helps. i get so mad after getting so bloated, but after drinkng a few cups and bathroom, i feel great and back to normal.

so give it like a few weeks, really. thats not much at all, i've been on a huge diet for months day by day feeling so frustrated. just this past week i finally resorted to doing it the right way. its hard, but ican tell you these past few days have been so great for me! mentally and phyisically. good luck !

Source(s): meee

Not really. When you hit a plateau try dieting even more and you'll quickly see a difference.

try cutting gluten out of your diet. Most people can't process it correctly and don't even know it.

always have vegetables on hand saute a big bag of frozen mixed vegetables in olive oil and garlic add some red pepper or turmeric for additional flavor and separate into portion sized containers for the fridge

first of all...diets are the worst things for you.

A) because they dont give you the right nutrients for you

B) because your body is different from everyone else

do not get discouraged. please just eat eat the right amount of proteins and carbrs, try to stay away from unsat. fats (because they slow down your digestion process), and get the right cardio exercise.

never eat any snack food out of the box carton or bag it came in you re less likely to overeat if you separate snacks into appropriate fist sized servings