How bad is leukemia (Blood Cancer)?

What is leukemia (Blood Cancer) and how bad is it? is it serious?

Favorite Answer

Blood cancer, or leukemia, is actually a cancer of the cells that create blood cells, or the bone marrow. It isn't actually the blood cells, themselves, that are cancerous. Cancer of any kind is dangerous - there is no such thing as a good cancer. Leukemia takes lives of children and adults every day but at the same time, there are many survivors that are in remission and doing very well. The most common cancer for children and young people is leukemia, and the most common type of leukemia is called either Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia, or Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). How well a patient does depends on so many different factors including age, cell counts, what type and subtype of leukemia he or she has, the will to fight, and so many other factors.

A leukemia diagnosis is absolutely not a death sentence. It's treatable but you have to keep in mind that it does take lives. I know many children and adults that have gone on to live completely normal lives after getting their No Evidence of Disease (NED) status. Sometimes a patient does relapse but it is absolutely possible that a patient can reach remission and eventually NED status. There isn't a "cure" but it's generally accepted that after 5 years post treatment the leukemia is considered "cured."

My son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). AML is related to ALL but is still quite different. His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

There are lots of symptoms of leukemia but each individual is different. Some display some symptoms while others display other ones. E had a cold in November that he just couldn't kick. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. Once he was diagnosed we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy. So far he has had 3 strong doses of chemo, a consolidation round, he's currently on his 2nd consolidation around and he's labeled as being in remission! He still has 3-5 rounds of consolidation chemo left just to make sure all of the cancerous cells are gone then he'll have a bone marrow transplant when a donor becomes available.

I hope this helped you out some. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 2 year old son is a warrior who beat a Wilms' Tumour and is currently battling Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/warrioreli

Unfortunately, straight and simple answers are often glib and incomplete.

Leukemia is extremely serious, and fatal without treatment. But some forms can be treated very successfully.

The questioner needs to get details about the type of leukemia and other risk factors of the patient before a direct answer can be given.

I have had leukemia (C L L) for the past twelve years.It is a very serious disease there is no cure BUT it can be treated very successfully and controlled .Recently I completed six months of chemotherapy and am at present in remission which my consultant believes will last for several years ,and .if it does return I can receive more treatment.Leukemia is NOT the death sentence many people believe. Most can be treated and patients can lead a comparatively normal life.Like all leukemia suffers my immune system is comprimised and although I receive immunigloblin once a month to boost it the greatest danger I face is infection. My life at the moment is perfectly normal I play golf once a week and spend hours in my garden and greenhous.There are some types of leukemia which progress very rapidly and are very difficult to treat but these are in the minoritty most like my own can and are treated successfully.

Blood cancer (Leukemia ) is very chronic disease and have manly four types of Leukemia 1. Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia 2. Acute Myeloid Leukemia 3. Chronic Lymphocytic Leukmia 4. Chronic Myeloid Leukemia.

Its kind of malignant conditions that can affect one or more systems of the body.

http://www.bmthospitalindia.com/Adult-Malignant-Co...

How Serious Is Leukemia

• Rae

Leukemia is very serious,but there are different types. Some are easily cured, while others require a bone marrow transplant to stay alive. My son had a very rare leukemia and was only given 10% chance of making it. He was only 10 months old and is now 13 years old and has been considered cured.

Patients who have acute leukaemia's are more susceptable to infections due to their low immune systems. If they get a fungal infection they get given anti fungal antibiotics, one good one we use on our ward is liposomal amphotericin, which will help fight the infection for them. With any treatment and drug there is always side effects from the treatment but about 90-95% of the patients get over the infection.

• Alex H

it is VERY serious, one of the most serious kinds of cancer because it moves very quickly to the other vital organs of the body. It's also much harder to target with treatments like chemo-therapy and radiation.

I hope none of your loved ones have leukemia, and if so, then God speed and I hope you all pull through it.

Source(s): Hey Jason, I agree. Sorry for all you people out there who think I'm trying to be negative, but I've lost relatives to cancer, and ALL cancer is serious in my opinion until you get control of it. Sorry if you feel like you have to give me a thumbs down for sharing my experiences.

Very bad. Deadly

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leukemia

I'm not sure why people who give straight and simple answers are getting thumbs down here, its just the truth.

Its one of those terminal illnesses. It basically means there is no cure and the patient would certainly die of that illness. If you know of someone who has this, tell them to live their life to the fullest for the remainder of their time because they would only have a little of it left.