Creationists, proof of macro evolution?

There are over 30,000 ERV insertions in the human genome. Do the math. If the species homo sapiens has only been around for 6000 years, then that means we have had over 5 endogenous retrovirus outbreaks EVERY SINGLE YEAR of human history. Not only is this incompatible with historical records, but it is simply... show more There are over 30,000 ERV insertions in the human genome.

Do the math. If the species homo sapiens has only been around for 6000 years, then that means we have had over 5 endogenous retrovirus outbreaks EVERY SINGLE YEAR of human history. Not only is this incompatible with historical records, but it is simply impossible - humans should have been wiped out.

Even if you stretch it and say that humans have been around for 200,000 years, that still gives around one ERV outbreak every seven years. Once more, historical records do not agree with this, and it is simply not possible. We are having trouble dealing with just ONE retrovirus, and that is with modern medecine - AIDS.

Now tell me how a few cavemen could have dealt with one major attack that infected a very large chunk of the population every seven years, with populations easily as small as a few thousand.

The only solution is that the species homo sapiens inherited a large amount of these insertions from another species.
Update: Jamen - 'Health laws' will not prevent a retrovirus from infecting a population, because it is not transmitted like normal viruses. And seeing as god can't even cure amputees... something tells me he's not up for curing a genetic parasite pandemic every few years.
Update 2: Franhusda - as I stated, I am speaking of Endogenous retroviruses. They are a kind of retrovirus (virus that transcribes it's RNA genome into DNA and then turns it into a provirus) that are passed on from generation to generation until a mutation incapacitates them.
Update 3: Icelandic - Even so, we have records of the past few thousand years, and there is no trace of the widespread pandemics we would expect.
16 answers 16