Is it common to have high blood pressure but not cholesterol?

I went to the doctor today and the first BP taken was 140/80. The second was 127/82. The doctor insisted that my blood pressure was too high, but then said that my cholesterol is near perfect. Is it common to have high BP but normal cholesterol? Is 140 considered extremely high?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

For most people, the cause remains unknown, making primary blood pressure the more prevalent of the two.

While it is not entirely known why primary high blood pressure occurs, research is ongoing and a number of factors have been implicated. Since high blood pressure often runs in families, a strong genetic component has been indicated.

Other risk factors for high blood pressure include smoking, alcoholism, and high salt intake, being overweight, lack of exercise, and high levels of stress.

Some conditions known to cause secondary hypertension are:

* Diabetic nephropathy

* Kidney disease

* Cushing's syndrome

* Hypothyroidism or Hyperthyroidism

* Arteriosclerosis (a thickening, hardening and narrowing of the walls of the arteries)

* Underlying heart conditions

* Sleep apnea

* Obesity

* Pregnancy, especially in cases of Pre-eclampsia

* Side-effects of certain medications or supplements

While high blood pressure can be a potentially life-threatening condition, it can be successfully managed through the correct medical treatment and positive life-style changes. Treatment often includes prescription medication, natural remedies, or a combination of both.

Whatever you decide, it is important to adopt a holistic approach to your health and include life-style changes into your treatment program.

There are a number of herbal and homeopathic remedies that are well known for their ability to control high blood pressure with great success. Unlike conventional medicines, which do not always address the root cause, natural remedies can do this without the risk of side effects or addiction.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): The Complete Diabetes Solution : http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?RQzb
  • MEL.
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Hi Jenny,

It actually isn't that high.

It is the bottom figure which is the most important and that is at the top end of normal. 60 - 80 is considered normal for the bottom figure. The top is only just 10mm Hg above normal. It is quite possible that it went up a bit simply because you had a doctor's appointment.

you do not have to have high cholesterol to have high blood pressure. The two do not necessarily go together.

Love Mel.X

Source(s): Coronary care nurse
  • 1 decade ago

It is higher than normal (120/80 is normal), so I would just start watching my salt intake. Now, mine was 180/76 - Now that is TOO HIGH! And, like you, my cholesterol was normal.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.