jane asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

Can someone please explain the roles of a padrino and madrina?

Some good friends of ours from Mexico are getting married and have asked that we be madrina and padrino. They explained it a little and I looked it up online, but got a million different explanations. Can someone please help me out??

Favorite Answer

Madrina - Godmother

Padrino - Godfather

BUT...............

Being a Madrina/Padrino for a wedding or quince means that you're responsible for making a contribution, whether it be money (for larger items) or by purchasing the item(s) assigned to you.

Most weddings/quince's have more than one Madrina/Padrino for things like:

Music

Ballroom (salon)

Cake

because they're the pricey items, so if you're being assigned for that, ask what you'll be responsible for. It's not rude to want to know how much this is going to cost you.

So in a nutshell, you're a sponsor!

Source(s): fair share of playing the "Madrina" role
  • mcevoy

Padrinos Responsibility

depends what it is... Padrinos Of What?

padrinos In marriage means you compromise on buying the stuff they need for their wedding.

U know what kind of Padrinos they have asked you

example

Padrinos De Musica.. they pay everything which regards to music

Padrinos de Comida They pay food

so and so on

good luck i hope i have helped

• Nancy

For starters, most Protestants agree that it is acceptable to venerate (or bestow honor upon) the Mother of God. Some nice common ground there. The difference comes in at prayer. With that in mind, going Sola Scriptura style: The saints in Revelation are clearly aware of what is happening on earth. If that is so, then one might logically surmise that, if someone said something to them, they might also hear communications from earth. Prayer is a tool that can be used to communicate. The prayer in question does not imply worship, as it is more akin to talking.

Padrino is a godfather

Madrina is the godmother.

Same thing you do.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/j48B2

When we “pray to Mary” we are merely asking Mary to pray for us in exactly the same way as when we ask another Christian to pray for us. And just like most Christians ,when we are in need of prayer we ask those we consider to be closest to God. If I need prayer for healing for my mom with cancer I will not ask the drug dealer on the corner or even a nominal Christian to pray for me. Instead, I ask the holiest Christians I know. After all, James 5:16 says, “the fervent prayer of a righteous man is very powerful”.

I'm not surprised that they didn't explain enough for you to really understand- after all, they would feel pretty awkward just coming out and saying "we want you to pay for the singer at our wedding."

I'm not saying that it's wrong, but there's nothing quite like explaining a cultural tradition to make you see it at face value.