Exams & Studying for the Cisco CCNA exams?

For work I need to pass the CCNA exams, I don't really know the best way to study for these and need help. I have a simulator which acts as a console interface, I have books from Todd Lammle and I have a heap of vids, cd's and other books but don't seem to be learning much fast! What is the best way to learn this stuff? Do I really need to put my own lab/network together at home? If so what kind of a layout should I be thinking about? Any help greatly appreciated.

Favorite Answer

You should use simulators such as GNS3 and Packet Tracer and visit 9tut.com for real questions + labs in CCNA exam.

I don't think you need anything but the curriculum, wireshark and most importantly the packet tracer. The online course material is really good and includes everything you need to know. Also, there's a quiz at the end of each chapter that you can take to see how much you're remembering from what you just read.

Of course you can always use google to find CCNA exams, but that would be considered cheating.

I did my CCNA at a college. They have everything in place for you, the cost is quite low and it takes only a few months (depending on your college) to learn through the modules.

The modules are online in an interactive website by Cisco themselves. Your college will setup your account with them, registered under the college name. As you learn the modules you do end-of-module practise exams. At the end, you do the final main exam which is the actual CCNA exam.

It's a well put together course, straight forward and guides you through each semester. You'll also get to use Cisco routers and learn to program them.

For courses like Microsoft and CompTIA A+ and Network+, I do these alone at home. CCNA I preferred to do at my college as its quite thorough.

Use packet tracer to practise using Cisco Products, an buy the official CCNA materials books.

• row_o

Use the cisco press books/cbt nuggets if you can get hold of them.

For practice, i used gns3.

It is possibly the best cisco emulator you can get... and uses real cisco IOS..

There is a lot you can do with this software including coverting a pc into an actual router sitting on the local network. Be sure to read the docs....and you will get the most out of it, and whats more, it is pretty easy to follow

http://www.gns3.net/

• Akki

in my opinion u should go for eLEARNING. in this you don't need to go anywhere, you can study where u want and when u want. it is cheaper than self study material(books+CDs+labs tools). it is effective and efficient also, give good results. i have taken material for CCNA from HYPERLESSONS.COM.

they provide me authorized courseware with virtual labs and mock exams for practice.i suggest u should also go for elearning.