Renters Rights in the state of New Mexico?

I have done a little looking online to find out exactly what my rights are here, but have not found anything that answers my question completely. My husband and I rented this mobile almost 2 months ago. About the 29th or 30th of April our landlord comes to us and tells us that we have to be out by the 15th that he sold the house. Well we have been renting month to month and I do know that in the state of NM the landlord has to give us a 30 day written notice of termination of tenancy. This is where I'm not getting the answers I need. The landlord came to us and told us that we have to be out by the 15th of May, which is the day after tomorrow, because he sold the house. Then the other day he tells my husband that someone is coming to look at the house. This was at least a week after he told us he sold it. Well about a week ago our almost brand new air conditioner quit working and my husband went to talk to the landlord, he said he didn't know anything about air conditioners and he couldn't fix it, the house didn't belong to them any more. So we suffered in the 107 degree heat during the day for a few days...we just couldn't take it any more so my husband went and talked to him again. He said he wouldn't fix the air conditioner unless my husband signed a paper saying we would be out by the 15th. My husband signed it. The landlord came over and had it fixed within 5 minutes. Sounds to me like he was doing a little fiddling around with the air conditioner to make it stop working, hoping it would get us out sooner. We have been looking for a place to rent but have not been able to find anything yet. I have some pretty serious health issues and cannot live outside. What can I do to stop this? And do we still have a right to be here without the 30 day notice of termination of tenancy?

• LILL
    Favorite Answer

New Mexico laws allows the tenants to "repair & deduct". Meaning, that if the landlord fails to make necessary repairs, the tenant can have the repairs made from an outside party and deduct the cost from rent.

All this means nothing now....your husband as already agreed (in writing) to vacate by the 15th.

www.hud.gov may have answers for you - it's the US govt website for housing and maybe tenants rights

Source(s): www.hud.gov