Offensive or Compliment: What do you think of this quote from Matthew McConaughey?

What do you think he's trying to say? Opinions closest (or best reasoning) to mine gets BA.

ELLE: Any woman you can think of who might not be coverworthy, but whom you find attractive?

MM: "Not so specifically, but yeah. And I see it more with black women, who get dressed up and they’re wearin’ everything to fit snug, and they’re walking the walk. And you’re like, Man, look at you go! Where did you get that? She might be a larger package, but boy, she sure understands how she’s wrapped."

Favorite Answer

Only Matthew knows what he was trying to say and maybe it didn't come out like he was thinking. Perhaps he will clarify that statement one day. That being said, he did answer the question that he found the not quite coverworthy woman attractive. He doesn't say he sees this in "all" black women, only more in black women, so perhaps without going into further detail, he has noticed it in women that are not black as well, and the reference to "walking the walk" seems to indicate to me that he recognized an air of confidence. Also, larger does not equal fat! Beautiful, confident women come in all shapes, sizes and colors. The fact that they are not deemed coverworthy by corporate america or the occasional opinionated actor or magazine interviewer does not lessen these women one bit.

• I think it's offensive, because it gives off the impression that attractiveness is based only on what a woman looks like, regardless of her race.

He probably didn't intend it to sound like he's shallow, but it does seem that way a little.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was trying to say that black women are more confident in themselves, and that there's something about them that makes them more attractive to others.

I doubt "Larger package" is referred to being fat. I can think of him thinking about the curves, shape, and butt on a black woman and referring to it as "larger package" compared to other women. Matthew is an actor. He is in hollywood and I know he is not blind. He sees black actresses who have nice figures. He knows that all black women are not big. I am not offended. He finds us attractive.

Source(s): I think in the box and outside of the box.

Not ALL black women are a "larger package". I find it offensive, but I don't think he meant it to be.

Look at Chanel Iman for example (Google her) she's stick thin, coverworthy and very beautiful.

It sounds offensive to me. It sounds like he is saying all black women are fat, but are still proud of what they got. The thing is they asked him about one particular woman, but he generalizes a whole group of women.

Not offensive at all. He's an American with freedom of speech. Why question that?

I think the way it came out was offensive, but I don't think he meant it to be.

Stereotypical arrogant asshole! Who thinks himself as world leading authority in judging women.

• Cat

I don't even think he knows what he's trying to say...

he's just being a stoner, don't take him so seriously.