Which languages are most important in medieval and renaissance history besides English?

French, German, Italian, and Latin?

I want to learn two of these for college, which would be the most beneficial for graduate study in Medieval/Renaissance history?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • jimbob
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

For medieval studies, Latin is your best bet. It was the language of the educated for centuries. Only toward the end of the Middle Ages did vernacular languages - English, French, German, Italian, Dutch, etc. - come into use in creating literature and scholarly work. For Renaissance studies, I'd say Italian and Dutch would be the two best choices, since Italy was the birthplace of the Renaissance and Holland was the center of the Northern Renaissance.

• 1 decade ago

Most important documents/books are in Latin.

After that it depends upon which region you will study. Remember that Medieval French, German, Italian, and English are VERY different from that spoken/written today. So even if you are studying Renaissance England, you will still need to learn Medieval English.

• 1 decade ago

Latin is THE most important language followed by French, German only came later. If you know Latin and French, you are pretty set.

• In totally the same place as you. I already have French, so I'm focussing on Medieval French and Latin.

Tho' if you're doing graduate study, I guess it really depends where your research interests lie!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Most awesome* Columbian Exchange* Well I think it depends on what you want to do, I mean for business, German, Japanese and Chinese (in no particular order) are the best, but if you want to work in Italy or the middle east than Italian and Arabic, respectively, are better. Spanish is okay in the United States, sure, but only about 10% of the U.S. speaks Spanish, and over 95% of the U.S. speaks English fluently or to an advanced level, including that 10%, so it is about average to me. For me a language should be chosen because you love it, the culture thy comes with learning it, and/or plan to go to the country it is predominantly spoken in.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

German and Latin

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.