Should Notre Dame cover up touchdown Jesus prior to commencement exercises?

Considering President Obama's apparent disgust with christian symbolism in his backdrop such as when he spoke at Georgetown University, will it be necessary to cover up 'touch down Jesus' and other christian symbolism before his entourage reaches campus?

Straight forward question folks, Obama has set the precedent.

Favorite Answer

I think it is disgusting that any college would cover their symbols just because the president is visiting.

After all, he isn't God.

If he really wants to emphasize the "separation between church and state", he ought to practice it. That "separation" works both ways...the state has no business to dictate to the church as to what symbols they may or may not display.

The prez, no matter how he personally feels about it, may not demand that any college cover anything. If he's "disgusted"...he can bloody well go give his speech somewhere else.

Too bad Georgetown doesn't have the courage of her convictions.

I'd be willing to bet that "touchdown Jesus" or whatever it is you're on about, stays right where it is, whether the kid likes it or not.

• jaimee

Duke in simple terms basic sucks, they make Temple look as though a suitable group and Duke is the only group extra helpful than the Florida worldwide Golden Cupcakes. Notre Dame gets a 2nd win and salvage something out of this poor season.

• zi_xin

His "disgust" probably stems from the fact that other faiths might interpret the symbolism behind him as personal. Not a good idea when he is trying to repair relationship with the Middle East. It is all politics

• Patsy

No. We Christians have rights to and personally I am tired of mine being trampled on because someone else is or might be offended. Get over it!

Get over yourself. It was a SECULAR speech, and even the school agreed that it was appropriate to cover the religious signage during the SECULAR speech. Last I checked, Obama was NOT the first president to set a precedent of seperation between church and state.

Yo kno, I was axing myself that same question...

The sooner the Christians and Catholics recognize who the real messiah is around here, the better it will be for everyone

"touchdown Jesus" sounds like a mockery of Christianity on its own.

just because you never went to college does not mean you can make fun of those who did.

Asphincter says what?

I don't know if Quasimodo would like that. . .