Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Im thinking about getting a pet bunny..?

I would like to get a Netherland Dwarf bunny, but I've never had a bunny before so I'm not really sure what I'll need for it or how to care for it. I want to keep it inside and let it run around, but I also want a cage (for at night and stuff). What size cage should I get? How much will it cost? I suppose thats the biggest thing I'm worried about, but any other advice would be great!

• *****
    Best Answer

I use and recommend exercise pens (marketed for puppies) for indoor housing. They are large and affordable. You can usually get one for $60-$70 from any pet store, less if you find them on sale, I've found them as low as $40 sometimes (I try to send one home with each new adopter). This site has some good examples of setups: http://www.sandiegorabbits.org/adoption/pen_living...

This site has great care information: http://www.rabbit.org/ Start with the first time visitor links at the top of the page. Pay special attention to the diet information, it will be the most important part of keeping your rabbit healthy. Check out this page to make sure living with a rabbit is something you want to do: http://wondertime.go.com/life-at-home/article/firs... It is geared towards parents with younger children, but is good information for everyone. Rabbits are often not what people want or expect in a pet, and more than half are given up, set 'free' to die in the wild, or die of neglect within the first year of ownership. As they are not a small commitment (will live a minimum of 8-10 years with proper care) make sure you are prepared to care for them for their entire life. They are not low-maintenance, and a friendly rabbit is by no means a guarantee, many will not want to be held, or sometimes even touched by humans. So do think carefully and make an informed decision.

I would also recommend that you look at other breeds for a first rabbit. While rabbits are individuals, Netherland Dwarfs, in general, are incredibly nervous, and tend to be quite aggressive. It's due to their small size, they are quite afraid of being injured or eaten. They are not usually amenable to much handling and often will not choose to interact with humans. I have had far more bites inflicted by this breed than any other, and I have not fostered very many Netherlands, either. One particularly cranky little guy bit entirely through my finger (had to get stitches) when I had to restrain him for a vet exam, it hurts and they can inflict significant damage. In general, the larger the breed, the more apt to be friendly, and breeds in the 10 pounds+ range are usually most suitable for a first-time owner because they tend to be more tolerant of clumsy handling and more likely to be friendly and outgoing. If you feel you must have a small breed, look at the Holland Lop and the Mini Lop, they are both substantially more laid-back, in general, than their other similarly sized counterparts.

If you keep a rabbit in a cage then it needs to be the biggest one you can afford but a rabbit must be able to stand on its hind legs (dont forget growing room) and be able to hop 3 times it's body length across the cage as a minimum. Dog cages can be good for rabbits if they are solid bottomed or have a thick lining like old carpet on the bottom.

First con grads on thinking of getting a furry friend. You will need some rabbit pellets. You will want this to be the main source of food. You can give them carrots and lettuce as treats. As far as a cage if all you are going to do is put it in there at night then all you will need is a small pet crate. You will want to put some kind of shavings in it to help with Comfort. Try not to use pine though. You can get the shavings at any pet store. The cost depends on the cost of the rabbit and the cage food and other things. There is no real set cost because it verys from place to place. I hope that this has given you some things to think about. Good luck

Source(s): owner breeder

Yay! I absolutely ADORE Netherlands, then again, I bred them for 3 years when I was in 4-h so I'll admit I was rather partial.

I just purchased a standard rabbit cage, you should be able to find an adequate sized one at your local pet store. The bigger you get, the better. Just remember rabbits are more ground-level pets so you want more space, not necessarily heigth.

I haven't found a huge difference between the does and bucks. My first was a doe, but she would pout and growl at other people (lol) but my little buck was an absolute sweet heart. Whatever you get, just make sure that you take good care of them. If your home gets too hot, it's never too bad to fill a water bottle with water and freeze it in your freezer, then put it in her cage so she can lick it, roll it around and lay against it.

The cost can be anywhere from 20-40 dollars for the cage. It's worthwhile to get a larger sized cage, though, and if you want you can always get one of those little "pens" that you put up around the cage to allow extra space. Just remember, bunnies will urinate and it can stain things.

Good luck, go with a Netherland for sure!

Source(s): 4-h experience with rabbits; owned rabbits almost all my live, used to breed netherlands

Just thought I'd add another option for caging. I use shelving cubes for both of my rabbits, they're very easy to build, cheap, sturdy and can be made to fit whatever space you have. They can also be made to several different levels. The panels are usually fairly easy to find at places like Walmart. Right now I have both of my rabbits in 28 inch wide by 42 inch long cages, and 28 inches high (two stories), they're both fairly small rabbits, about 1.2-1.7kg.

Here is some information : http://guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm

The pet store will have rabbit cages, they will be around $50-$80 according to size. You will need a water bottle, rabbit feeder, rabbit food, salt spool, shavings, rabbits can eat small amounts of carrots, hay, there are chew sticks for them to help keep their teeth from getting over grown. Have fun with your new bunny, you can also house train them. With a litter box. They will chew so keep an eye at all times and don't let her be loose if no one is home.

1.a medium size cage will be find for a dwarf bunnie

2.rabbit pellets will be exalant for him/her

3.you can make a salad for him yep a salad i do 2wice a week its good for him like cut up carrots,lettuce,tomatoes,celery,ext.

4.you can also get him/her a treat stick with a wood center...

5.bunnies have to have wood to chew on beacause of thier teeth

6.make shure it has plenty of water

7.if a bunny is in direct sun light for too long it can die so too much sun is bad for it

8.if you are going to have it inside.. take the cage out and set it under a shadey trshadethe summer for some fresh air

9. let it run arround in your house for some exercise if you have other pets arround put them in a sepret room....

10. give your bunnie lots of attention :)

i wish luck you you and your pet and i just know you will be a nest pet owner <3 bre.

Source(s): better experiance (i have 1 )

I suggest a 30" - 36" high puppy playpen. I have 1 30" and 1 36" one for my 2 rabbits. I bought them from ebay

30" = $45.99 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trk...

36" = $55.99 http://cgi.ebay.com/Durable-36-colorful-Zinc-PET-D...

You will probably not find a suitable 'rabbit' cage.

I also suggest lots and lots of research

http://www.rabbit.org

http://www.binkybunny.com

I would also look at a different breed if this is your first ever rabbit. I love Nethies but they are not a beginner rabbit. I would get something if you want a small rabbit on the bigger end of the 'small' breeds like mini rex or dutch and bigger. They tend to be less skittish than smaller breeds.

ok lets start simple...

IS the rabbit the right choise for you:

•do you have time everyday to take your rabbit out and give him/her love?

•you said that you had your house for it to run around? are there any other animals in the house? if so introduce them and be patient. my kittens and rabbit are best friends but thats just my animals yours may be different.

•Can you afford to take him/her to the vet? i suggest to get money to set asaid in any emergency. if your a kid take out half of your allowance and set it asaid, it may not feel good now but if your rabbit gets sick you will need that money. :)

as for the cage get a pretty big cage mine is 2' by 2' and its like a box in shape but it is wire, it may cost at least 100$. my rabbit runs around on our screen porch all day so the cage is just for the night. make sure it is not glass and has pleny of ventilation. do not use cedar or pine bedding as this is harmful to their respiratory system, use carefresh. i lay newspaper everywhere and just pput the bedding in the litter pan, it will save you money. when triaing the bunyy to se the litter pan just put a container in the corner with the beddind put some of his/her poo pellets in it and they will catch on fast, we accually trained our rabbit to get in his cage at night. we say mosbey (thats his name) get in your cage and we always have a treat waiting for him and he hops right in. it took a good bit to get hm to do this we had to run everywhere trying to catch him at first. haha. :)

!Health:!

if you knowtice cloudy eyes, sleepy rabbit, your rabbit not eating or drinking, diarrhea, your rabbit not playing with his favorite toys or acting abnormal then its time to go to the vet.

!Food:!

really any diet containing pellets, fresh foods and hay is good. (never give a rabbit under 6 months old greens or carrots or ANY fresh foods, it will upset their stomachs)you can buy the food with just pellets or you can buy a brand with a variety of seeds, pellets, timothy hay seeds etc. make sure that your rabbits have hay all the time. since they cant cough up hair balls like cats they get stuck in their system, and the hay makes it easier for it to pass through.

!Grooming:!

with a netherland dwarf you will have to brush it at least twice a week, get a soft bristle brush as their skin is very sensitive, even thouogh they are short haired they still groom themselves and digest hair which can cause hair balls and grooming can help prevent them. long haired need to be groomed everyday.

never cut a rabbits fur or give them a bath. a bath is extremely stressful for them. if him/her get into something stcky spot clean them.

•nails: when you start to knowtice your rabbits nails getting long and sharp that means its time for a trim. go to petsmart or petco and buy small nail clippers or even dog clippers if your comfortable using the bigger ones. be carful not to cut to short because you will reach the quik (where the blood is) and it can bled. just cut off the tips of the nail. if it starts to bleed get a styptic pencil (you can also get this from the pet store) and set it against the nail to stop the bleeding.

!Gender:!

i really dont knowtice a difference. i have a male and he is very sweet and will play games and everything. the females are better with other females while males are sometimes aggresive when they meet a new bunny buddy. although when i introduced my grandpas rabbit and mine, they were like best friends.

games:

most rabbits like hide n seek. mine doesnt but we got him these little cat balls, the ones that have like bars on them so he can bite it and he throws the ball!!!!! :) i just sit it right in front of him and he throws it! :)

i think thats about it. :)

mai9613

http://www.allearssac.org/reading.html

http://www.mybunny.org/info/wellgroom.htm

http://www.rabbit.org/

http://www.petwebsite.com/rabbits.asp

email me with any specific questions!!!!!

you can get one but keep him/her away from cholate then can get killed from it my bunny died from it

Source(s): experince