Do shock collars for dogs really work in preventing barking?

I have a Rat Terrier that is about a year and a half old and weighs 6lbs. We are having a really hard time training her not to bark. She barks at everything. At people walking by, squirrels, other dogs. It's so bad that taking her for a walk is out of the question. My dad insists that I try a shock collar. Does... show more I have a Rat Terrier that is about a year and a half old and weighs 6lbs. We are having a really hard time training her not to bark. She barks at everything. At people walking by, squirrels, other dogs. It's so bad that taking her for a walk is out of the question. My dad insists that I try a shock collar. Does anyone know if they actually work? Has anyone actually had experience with them? We've literally tried everything and as much as I don't really agree with shock collars I'm to the point of trying it!
Update: I'm not saying I agree with shock collars, I just want peoples opinion on if they work because we've tried everything else. I love how a shock collar is such a sin to alot of you but hitting your dog in the nose is ok... Opinions on wether you agree with them is not what I'm looking for, I'm looking... show more I'm not saying I agree with shock collars, I just want peoples opinion on if they work because we've tried everything else. I love how a shock collar is such a sin to alot of you but hitting your dog in the nose is ok... Opinions on wether you agree with them is not what I'm looking for, I'm looking for if they work or not... thanks to those who understood that.
Update 2: One more thing... I would NEVER get my dog de barked... Oh and also you don't buy a dog to listen to it bark at EVERY little thing! I understand dogs bark, I have 3, 2 of which are very well trained... this one I'm having a hard time, this collar thing would be a LAST resort...