What happens if you overload a motorcycle with weight?

hi, I have a Honda XR 125. It says the maximum weight i can carry is about 159kg. I plan to go for a weekend trip and carry myself and partner, and about 40kg of gear totaling about 190kg. aside from the handling which I plan to go really slow and take it easy, Are there any other problems? is it really dangerous? we are only going about 4 hours away, unloading, camping and then returning

Jus

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Irv S
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You are overloading a complex systam.

While there is considerable safety factor in the design of an 'off road'

bike, you should know:

* Your tires will be overloaded and flex too much.

(adding extra pressure can help here, but only about 10%, not above

the 'do not exceed limit.)

* Your suspension travel will be reduced. (Dial up those rear springs to max.). Avoid potholes etc. Reducing speed, as you propose, lessens

the dynamic 'rough ground' stresses.

* Your breaking distance will increase, (more than you might expect).

Another good reason to keep speeds low.

* That engine will be working a lot harder on hills, and passing will be

a lot trickier. Keep it reving, and watch for overheating and chain stretch. You are asking a lot from that 125 cc.s.

Source(s): Old Road Rat
    • Login to reply the answers
  • StanS
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Overloading a little bike like a 125 Honda by that much is dangerous. For a 10 minute ride you might be ok, but for any big distance on the highway you are asking for trouble. Handling will suffer, and it's also difficult to load even minimal camping gear for two on it.

Not is it an accident waiting, er, asking to happen, but you can be cited (ticketed by the police) for being obviously overloaded.

Bring an emergency phone number with you, written down and taped to your tank so they'll be able to ID you...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Too much weight and too small a bike. Is there evne room on it for 2 of you and gear?

• 1 decade ago

Blow out the shocks.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.