Why are so many programmers arrogant?

I seriously don't get it. I am a programmer myself, but whenever I'm having an issue with my code and need help and enter an IRC help channel, everyone is so rude and just acts like if I don't know the answer to my question already, I'm stupid.

I typically avoid these channels unless I'm extremely desperate because the people are always so mean and aren't there to help but rather to show off their alleged knowledge.

Why the heck are so many programmers like this?

Favorite Answer

It seems that many programmers have a hard time with interpersonal skills.

Because their lives lack a significant amount of human social interaction [something that makes our lives pleasurable], they derive their pleasure by feeling superior over others.....that and the fact that so many of them seem to suffer from DSB [drastic sp*rm buildup]

Source(s): Have worked in IT for 15 years.
  • Morgan

There is a certain elitism amongst programmers, it's probably knowing that they understand something a lot of other people don't. My ex was a programmer, and he was also a basement dweller. I suppose it also has to do with the type of people who become programmers, as well as the type of people who agree to work behind a computer all day.

Go to the end of your URL

Look at the last 3 words. Lol!

edit: it says "SeX" lol.

Source(s): Get it? URL, programmers?

That's why you do not use IRC, lol....