What does the Confederate Flag mean?

Today I had a friend really go off about the fact that one kid was flying it from the back of his truck. She sees it as a sign of racism and believes that anyone who flies it still supports racism. I'm thoroughly confused because I have known two people who wore shirts with the flag on it, and have still... show more Today I had a friend really go off about the fact that one kid was flying it from the back of his truck. She sees it as a sign of racism and believes that anyone who flies it still supports racism.

I'm thoroughly confused because I have known two people who wore shirts with the flag on it, and have still talked to me and associated with me as an equal (My friend & I are black btw).

One girl at my school say that it's a matter of freedom of speech. Another girl went as far as insisting that it's people like my friend who increase the separation between whites and blacks because of the way she thinks.

Can someone please help me understand?!