I am a book author & I want to figure out how to buy back the rights to my book from the publisher..any ideas?

My book has already been published in hardback and now I want to buy back the rights so I can publish it on my own in paperback because the publisher doesn't seem to want to do that. We did not cover buying the rights back in our book contract so I am trying to find out if anyone has done this before and how... show more My book has already been published in hardback and now I want to buy back the rights so I can publish it on my own in paperback because the publisher doesn't seem to want to do that. We did not cover buying the rights back in our book contract so I am trying to find out if anyone has done this before and how they went about doing that. I am wondering if the publishers are going to make me give back money that I already made on the book and I am wondering if publishers will even do something like this. I am also wondering why they wouldn't, if they are not planning to do anything else with the book. Perhaps some joint deal with them? Not sure... does anyone have any info or thoughts on this? Thanks