Can I go in a tanning bed with a brand new tattoo?

I just got my tattoo last night and I wanted to go lay in a tanning bed for 20 minutes today like I usually go do. But I was wondering if that isn't such a good idea with the new tattoo..? I could always just cover it up, but should I take the chance?

Favorite Answer

NO!!!! DO not go to a tanning salon or expose your new tattoo to direct sunlight!!!! You need to let your tattoo heal completely, 4-6 weeks, sometimes longer, before tanning. Then, and only then, will it be safe to put sunblock on your tattoo. Do NOT put sunblock on your new tattoo, and whatever you do, don't cover it with gauze, plastic wrap, or anything else!!! Let it heal! You just spent time and money getting a tattoo, why ruin it by tanning right away?!?!?!?!

Source(s): Shop owner, in the business 14 years.

With a new tattoo, if your artist was worth their salt at all, they would have told you all about after-care, including the fact that you need to keep out of the sun and tanning beds, away from pools, lakes, hot tubs, or any type of chlorinated or salt water for at least two weeks. (CHLORINATED AND SALT WATER OF ANY KIND WILL EAT YOUR TATTOO!) It's just a big fat NO NO! Your tattoo has to heal before it can be exposed to any of those things, especially a pool because it can cause an infection if you're not careful! Once your tattoo heals and you just have to get in the sun or tanning bed, then Miami Ink has an entire product line just for tattoo protection for those things. Here's the link for that: http://atlantictan.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.as...

Anytime you have a question about your tattoo, always ask your artist first! If what they say doesn't sound right to you, then you should research it online. And I don't mean by coming onto Yahoo Answers for a reply because you will get all kinds of conflicting answers. You have some on here saying to use an SPF when you're plainly told not to put anything on your tattoo but the A&D ointment and then when it's almost healed, but still scabbing, usually 2 weeks after you get it done, you use an unscented lotion that doesn't contain petrolatum based products or glycerin based products because those can keep your tat too moist and they won't heal properly and then you're left with an ugly tattoo! Any SPF you use would be too greasy for a new tattoo and could cause you to lose ink. I wouldn't risk it! I would just wait until the tattoo is healed before trying to lay in a tanning bed. Winter time is really the best season to get a tattoo because in spring/summer months your skin gets a lot more abuse with swimming, tanning and just being exposed to the elements more.

Source(s): 20 + tattoos

Tanning beds are not healthy anyways

but definitely cover up a brand new tattoo if you have to go tanning

As a rule I try to keep out of the sun for a couple of months after any new tattoo

• Lauren

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avrUA

NO NO NO tanning and brand new tattoos don't mix. Your tattoo hasn't fully healed yet. You should put some thing over it (but not sun screen, some protective clothing) at least to protect it. You could give your self an infection or damage your ink if you tan with a fresh tattoo.

I just got another new tattoo yesterday (the 12th) too and wouldn't even think about exposing it to the tanning bed or to sunlight! You should have been told that in your aftercare instructions. And so not apply anything but what you instructions said. I am using A&D ointment and washing with Dial Gold. It is doing good so far.

I feel like I paid a lot of money for it and went through a lot of pain to get mine and I am taking very good care of mine. I LOVE it and wouldn't want to risk anything messing it up. But if you do decide to d it anyway, remember that you are risking having some really messed up looking, faded artwork on your body for the rest of your life.

Cover it up well. Forget sunscreen...put some kind of opaque bandage on it. It should not be exposed to the sun or to tanning beds. This will cause fading and could interfere with the healing process.

I strongly advise you to wait at least 4-6 weeks for the tattoo to fully heal. After that, still don't expose it to sun or tanning beds. You will have paid for a tattoo that ends up looking like crap.

EMT

I got a tattoo before I went to Mexico this summer, and even though the tattoo was covered by my bathing suit it still faded and looks semi splotchy. I had to get it touched up once it finally healed completely. I would stay far away from tanning!

Tattoo Togo

Well the tanning beds do fade tattoos, so its not good to tan like that! But if you must, theres these sunblock sticks(looks like a big glue stick) that work well. They make them especially for tattoos too. But please please wait a couple weeks or if you can stand it like a month so it will be completly healed then there will be no room for irritation! If you dont wait you can really dry it out. It wont look fresh and new anymore... good luck...

No, stay away from UV, not on new or old. UV from the sun will fade your tattoos. Always use sunblock in the sun. So, no more tanning table for you! And if you covered up the tattoo area, you will have two tone tan, that not so cool either.