Is 30-day notice required if I'm simply moving out at the end of a 1-year lease?

My lease expires 6/5/2009, and I gave notice today, 5/11/09. I was told that I will be responsible for rent 30 days from the date of notice (through 6/10/09. I've looked up information about this, but all I can find on the CA Department of Consumer Affairs is that for a PERIODIC rental agreement you must give... show more My lease expires 6/5/2009, and I gave notice today, 5/11/09. I was told that I will be responsible for rent 30 days from the date of notice (through 6/10/09. I've looked up information about this, but all I can find on the CA Department of Consumer Affairs is that for a PERIODIC rental agreement you must give notice. However, PERIODIC is defined as
"an oral or written rental agreement that states the length of time between rent payments - for example, a week or a month - but not the total number of weeks or months that the agreement will be in effect."
This is definitely not the type of agreement I signed. I signed a 1-year lease, which as far as I understand, means 1 year and no notice should be required. I never indicated I would like to renew the lease and feel that it is ridiculous for the landlord to assume that I would renew. In fact, I feel that signing a 1-year lease is, in effect, providing 1-year notice of my move-out date unless I indicate otherwise. Do I have any ground to stand on? I know it's only 5 days rent, but that's $265 dollars I don't want to flush down the drain for nothing.