? asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

what happens if you drive away with the gas pump still attached to your car?

So yes...i drove away with he hose still attached to my car. it was 6:30 am, enough said.

I stopped after I heard the loud boom and the gas station attendant came running out. He took down all my information but also said it happens often. Now they are calling saying that I owe them 147$ or they will make a claim to my insurance.

Is this typical? I defiantly will pay because it is my fault but I'm just wondering if this is the standard way gas stations deal with this issue.

Thanks

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The ones at the gas station I worked at had a mechanism that was supposed to detach without causing damage. We had to call a pump technician out to reattach it though, which is probably what they charged you for. I don't think we ever billed the customer, though.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Probably 10+ years ago while on vacation and buying gas I got distracted with a cell phone call. After a several minute phone conversation I lost track of what I had been doing and thought I was ready to leave. Well I wasn't finished. I hadn't replaced the nozzle back onto the pump. I started to drive away with the nozzle still in my gas tank. I heard a sound and stopped immediately and got out to see what the heck had happened. I found the nozzle and half of the hose stuck in my tank. To my relief I found that the hose was made to snap apart in situations where absent minded people like me drive away. Due to superior engineering my stupidity caused no damage whatsoever to anything. The hose very easily just snapped back together. No harm no foul.

• 1 decade ago

Shouldn't cost anything.

It does happen often - the fatter section of the gas line, up near where it goes into the pump, is a breakaway fitting. All they should have to do is plug it back in.

I'd ask to see their bills.

Richard

• Josh
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Okay, so you drove off and didn't go back to the gas station after this happened?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

i am being sued for over $10,000, in California and the hose was detachable and the nozzle never hot the ground or was damaged.

• Lexie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I would imagine so. $147 sounds pretty reasonable.

• 1 decade ago

Probably.It cost money to replace.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.