Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why do some Jews write God as "G-d" instead of "God"?

One of the kids in one of my classes is an Orthodox Jew and I was reading some of her writing and just noticed that she always writes "God" as "G-d". Why does she leave out the "O"? I'd prefer answers from Jewish people.

Best Answer

It's a sign of respect for the Name. You aren't supposed to write the Name on anything that could be treated badly or get thrown away. So, to avoid being unintentionally blasphemous, some Jews write it "G-d."

• Linda

The third commandment against taking god's name in vain includes both saying god's name in an unholy context and erasing it. If one doesn't write the full word, but substitutes a - for a letter, then one has not said the name and therefore need not worry about its being in a bad context, or erased. I happen to think that g-o-d is an English word/Title, not one of god's names.

You did receive a few correct answers. I was taught, in Hebrew school, that since a piece of paper can be crumpled up and thrown out with the trash, you write G-d as a sign of respect.

Over 40 years later - I STILL do it! Hebrew schools stays with you!

Source(s): My first year teacher, Rabbi Goder, used to joke that if we ever slipped and spelled out the three letters, add an 'er' at the end and we'd be writing about HIM! Reconstructionist Jew - raised Conservative

Because The Jewish people Honor Gods name and they don't think that it is respectable to write the word" God" with all the letters.{being disrespectful if they do.]..so they spell it G-d...same as they don't put the Bible on the floor or they never put anything on top of the Bible either.Love in Christ...missleslie

• Kevin7

If you are Jewish you not profane G-D's name, a paper in writing can be crumbled or destroyed that is why. They teach that fact in Hebrew School, it is suppose to be true of all Jews not some.

i'm not jewish, but i know the answer to this one. they are very respectful about the name of God (which, to them, is Yahweh--or YHWH). they do not speak the name, or write it. obviously, they treat all references to God the same way, by omitting letters.

"God" is a title, like Sir or LORD or General.

It is NOT God's NAME.

this is.

(Exodus 6:3) And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as God Almighty, but as respects my name Jehovah I did not make myself known to them.

Jews write the title incomplete in the mistaken thinking that it is disrespectful...IT IS NOT.

Jesus said his Father's NAME must be glorified...and HOW can you do that if you do not COMPLETE it?

(Psalm 103:1) Bless Jehovah, O my soul, Even everything within me, his holy name.

(Genesis 12:8) Later he moved from there to the mountainous region to the east of Beth′el and pitched his tent with Beth′el on the west and A′i on the east. Then he built an altar there to Jehovah and began to call on the name of Jehovah.

(Exodus 3:15) Then God said once more to Moses: “This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘Jehovah the God of YOUR forefathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob, has sent me to YOU.’ This is my name to time indefinite, and this is the memorial of me to generation after generation.

...THIS IS MY NAME...

Source(s): NWT

Out of respect.

If you think about it, you can just crumble up any piece of paper and toss it in the garbage. They don't want to throw away a paper that has God written on it.

Source(s): 7 years of Hebrew school

well, i'm not jewish, but I do know that YHWH or yahweh literally translates to "He who is not to be named"

And to invoke God's name in vain is blasphemy

It's called "respect".