Is it a sin to get a piercing or a tattoo?

I'm 15 years old and for my birthday, when I turn 16 (this July), I'd like to get a monroe piercing, but I'll pay for it with my own money. There's a tattoo/piercing studio I know of where you have to be 16 or older to get a piercing without a parent's permission. I showed my mom a picture of... show more I'm 15 years old and for my birthday, when I turn 16 (this July), I'd like to get a monroe piercing, but I'll pay for it with my own money. There's a tattoo/piercing studio I know of where you have to be 16 or older to get a piercing without a parent's permission.

I showed my mom a picture of a monroe piercing and I asked her if she would allow me to get that piercing if I used my own money. My mom is a very religious person, and don't get me wrong, I am pretty religious myself, but she is way more strict. She said no because our body is the temple of God.

I told her that I know some Christians who have piercings and tattoos (a lady from my church has a nose piercing and a tattoo) and my mom just says they're fake Christians or something...

I don't understand why she wouldn't let me get a monroe piercing, yet she has her ears pierced and she got my ears pierced when I was a baby. When I asked her about that, she said, "Because even back then, they already pierced their ears" and I said, "Well they also used to pierce different parts of their bodies back then". Then she just started yelling at me.

I plan to ask our church pastor when I go to church on Sunday, but for now, can anyone give me their views on this?