Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Is it a sin to get a piercing or a tattoo?

I'm 15 years old and for my birthday, when I turn 16 (this July), I'd like to get a monroe piercing, but I'll pay for it with my own money. There's a tattoo/piercing studio I know of where you have to be 16 or older to get a piercing without a parent's permission.

I showed my mom a picture of a monroe piercing and I asked her if she would allow me to get that piercing if I used my own money. My mom is a very religious person, and don't get me wrong, I am pretty religious myself, but she is way more strict. She said no because our body is the temple of God.

I told her that I know some Christians who have piercings and tattoos (a lady from my church has a nose piercing and a tattoo) and my mom just says they're fake Christians or something...

I don't understand why she wouldn't let me get a monroe piercing, yet she has her ears pierced and she got my ears pierced when I was a baby. When I asked her about that, she said, "Because even back then, they already pierced their ears" and I said, "Well they also used to pierce different parts of their bodies back then". Then she just started yelling at me.

I plan to ask our church pastor when I go to church on Sunday, but for now, can anyone give me their views on this?

• Favorite Answer

It's something that doesn't come off very easily. I wouldn't do it. It's a sin not to take care of your body (such as your appearance and your health), so you be the judge. There's always one thing christians can do when they don't know what to do: pray. Ask God if he thinks it's ok. It's important to do what God has in mind for your life. Getting a tattoo i think could be a good thing is it seems to fit what God tells you to do, because it can show people that christians can still do most of the things other people do. however, remember to respect your elder. Your mom is right, but it's God who you need to listen to. pray for gods advice and that if he wants you to get a tattoo, pray that he shows your mom that it is alright. So it's up to how hard you pray. (Sorry if I gave too long of a boring lecture.) Take care, good luck, and God bless.

Source(s): http://thewaythetruth.com/ <-- this source doesn't talk about tattoos ,as far as i know, but it is great for christians in need of knowledge.

To be honest, i don't think this is interpreted as a sin at all. It's a personal choice that you can make for your own reasons to represent your own ethics, values, and opinions. I'm a recently switched atheist, but up until 14 i was soaked in the Christian faith, due to my grandparents, so i have an idea of what you're struggling over.

Several people have mentioned that it is destroying your "temple" that God gave you. But what if you got a tattoo that said something like "I Love God", or a trinity or something like a symbol to represent a piece of the Christian faith? It can go several ways, but in the end here's my answer:

It is a personal choice for you to make. I think it's a good idea to get the opinions of others first, but if you really want it, go for it. It's not an instant hell marker or anything, because to be honest, we all sin, and no one is perfect. According to the Christian belief, God still loves you and will not persecute you for a little tattoo that you feel represents something in your life. That wouldn't be the loving God he is shown to be, after all

Source(s): Lots of religion studies and a personal opinion

Well I think its a good start that you're at least questioning whether you should. I think it is wrong because you represent Jesus' body and you want to pierce it? And for what? To look cool? I admit it is a pretty piercing but even aside from religion EVERYONE is starting to want a monroe. It's like a trend now. The bible says that it is wrong, and therefore it is. When you get older you'll be so thankful that you didn't get it done. It doesn't help when you try to get a professional job either, and when you try to take it out, you'll look like you have a permanent pimple. As for those people who are Christian and did get it pierced, look what kind of influence they had on you. Now you think it's okay to do it because other "people of God" did it to. When you think it through when you get older, you'll realize that you are just putting a false name to Jesus when the outside world looks at you. It says it clearly in the bible, and therefore don't be a hypocrite and say you are a Christian when you clearly defy God by getting one.

Don't worry though, I went through a similar phase. Please don't get one, you'll regret it.

• Amy

The prohibition against tattoos and body markings in Leviticus is more about not following pagan gods or goddesses. In ancient times tattoos were typically done in a ritual setting as part of a person's dedication to a deity's cult. The tattoo/brand/scar/piercing was an outward symbol that an individual followed that god or goddess. It was pagan worship that was forbidden not the body modification.

i am 16. i have thought about getting my ear pierced, but i have not. i have to agree with your mom, our bodies are the temple of God. He created us the way that pleases HIM. those who get piercings or tattoos, that is there their decision and they will get judged for that. do you want to get judged for something as silly as getting a Monroe piercing which you could get infected anyway? I hope this helps you.

Look Up these verses: 1 Corinthians 6:19 and Leviticus 19:28

• Teresa

I dont beleive it is a sin just to get something pierced or get a tattoo i mean i dont actually no it might be but who cares its stupid just to think that youll go to "hell" just because you get something pierced or tattooed I have piercings and i plan on getting a lotta tats when i get olderr

It isn't a sin, but self-mutilation is just silly. Keep in mind that's a scar that will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Tattoos and piercings call attention to themselves, not to you. And a lot of employers are not going to hire you based on a visible tattoo or piercing. They won't say that outright, but why take the chance that no one will take you seriously because of a piercing? To me, and to a lot of people, tattoos and piercings speak of a frivolous and attention-seeking nature, which is never a sign of maturity.

Save your money for college, and your skin for the future.

What I want to know is how having body art makes God love you less? Just like getting dressed up for church, I assumed He wouldn't care because he's not supposed to be superficial. But hey, I'm an atheist, so what do I know?

Gods word says ' Your body is the Temple of God....

Would you put graffiti on the church building?

I do not think that it is a sin to get a tattoo or a piercing