Is a "nonprofit, 501(c)3 organization" subject to ADA compliance?

There is a local retreat facility that is in the first phases of building a new on-site hotel. The current facility is Not ADA compliant, which makes my husband's stay there very primitive (when it comes to personal hygiene).

I have seen their floorplan on-line, and the bath areas are all very tiny.

Do I have a foot to stand on to INSIST that they implement at least 2 rooms for Handicap-friendly use? The hotel boasts of 50 rooms. I would think, that in 2009 profit and non-profit (these people) would have to comply to having at least a percentage of their rooms to be ADA-compliant.

Please advise and thank you for your time!

051109 3:10

Update:

PLEASE NOTE:

I am NOT one to "thumbs down" anyone, and since the first answers are very good, if someone has a gripe as to the answers being provided then...

Please offer your OWN version, and please do not down-thumb people just to be vindictive.

Thank you for your consideration...

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Absolutely they have to by law. You send them a letter notifying them of your concern and send a copy to the regional ADA & IT Center. (You can get that number by going to http://www.katrinadisability.info/ then the name of your state.

Then call the ADA Center up and refer to your letter and ask them to help you take the next step. It is best to do this before if is built rather than after. It will also deminstrate clear evidence that they were made aware of the law prior it it being built.

• 1 decade ago

I dont know the exact law, but I would think so yes.

FOUND IT!! YES THEY DO!!! Especially in a buidling currently being built!

ADA Title III: Public Accommodations

Title III covers businesses and NONPROFIT (caps added) service providers that are public accommodations, privately operated entities offering certain types of courses and examinations, privately operated transportation, and commercial facilities. Public accommodations are private entities who own, lease, lease to, or operate facilities such as restaurants, retail stores, HOTELS, movie theaters, private schools, convention centers, doctors' offices, homeless shelters, transportation depots, zoos, funeral homes, day care centers, and recreation facilities including sports stadiums and fitness clubs. Transportation services provided by private entities are also covered by title III.

Public accommodations must comply with basic nondiscrimination requirements that prohibit exclusion, segregation, and unequal treatment. They also must comply with specific requirements related to architectural standards for new and altered buildings; reasonable modifications to policies, practices, and procedures; effective communication with people with hearing, vision, or speech disabilities; and other access requirements. Additionally, public accommodations must remove barriers in existing buildings where it is easy to do so without much difficulty or expense, given the public accommodation's resources.

http://www.ada.gov/cguide.htm

• pogue
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

a pair of reasons. First, the final protection once you're sponsored right into a nook is to launch an solid offense. That way, on an identical time as the different area is busy protecting itself, it might overlook what it became into combating for contained in the 1st place. 2nd, there's a word in psychology referred to as "cognitive dissonance" and its premise is this: the human concepts, while confronted with 2 conflicting recommendations, reports dissonance. with a view to be certain this undertaking, considered one of two issues would desire to ensue. the two, the human concepts outrightly rejects the thought conflicts with the only it has held for the longer volume of time. Or, if the guy has a tendency to be open minded, he/she would attempt to reconcile the two recommendations. at last, as they see the validity of the opposing point of view, and in the event that they arrive to realize that it makes extra experience than their previous concept, they are able to even reject the previous stance in want of the hot. it extremely is what "apostates" have executed. this is why the WT sternly warns its adherents to stay faraway from "apostates", from Bible analyzing on my own, from "Christendom", etc. The WT is familiar with that adherents will see it for the lies it promotes in the event that they are waiting to work out issues from yet another attitude and to be certain that the WT has been mendacity to them, no longer merely approximately itself, yet bearing directly to the character of God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, "Christendom", "apostates", the Bible, and the Gospel message.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.