Is the new Star Trek movie by JJ Abrams an alternate universe?

albeit the original series cast and the "new" USS Enterprise i have read and i believe that the new Star Trek movie is an alternate universe that doesn't "connect" with the TOS series.
Update: i have seen the movie so no spoilers for me. so, what happens now to the old Spock? how come Nero & Co. "waited 25 years" for old Sock to reappear (then capture him afterwards) whereas in the movie there was " 3 years later"? also, i have noticed some obvious deleted scenes not included in the... show more i have seen the movie so no spoilers for me. so, what happens now to the old Spock? how come Nero & Co. "waited 25 years" for old Sock to reappear (then capture him afterwards) whereas in the movie there was " 3 years later"? also, i have noticed some obvious deleted scenes not included in the movie but was in the trailer like when Nero was supposedly on the Klingon penal planet, etc.