is the new Star Trek movie by JJ Abrams an alternate universe?

albeit the original series cast and the "new" USS Enterprise i have read and i believe that the new Star Trek movie is an alternate universe that doesn't "connect" with the TOS series.

Update:

i have seen the movie so no spoilers for me. so, what happens now to the old Spock? how come Nero & Co. "waited 25 years" for old Sock to reappear (then capture him afterwards) whereas in the movie there was " 3 years later"? also, i have noticed some obvious deleted scenes not included in the movie but was in the trailer like when Nero was supposedly on the Klingon penal planet, etc.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Nero (as depicted) was plainly an insane idiot ... (as was his entire crew)

After all, with a few hundred years advance knowledge of the Super-Super-Nova that destroyed his Planet (plus the advanced technology of his vessel), any semi-sane person would plainly have done something to warn his ancestors and save his race first ...

... and by turning over his ship to his ancestors, his race would have quickly learned enough to built an unstoppable battle fleet to take on the entire Universe and guarantee his 'revenge' ...

... no doubt any sane person in his crew would have come to the same conclusion sometime during the 25 years ... even if a mutiny was not possible, plainly, with everyone armed to the teeth, assassination was just an easy accident away ...

Conclusion = they were all insane idiots ..

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Not to give anything away in the film, the alternate universe that you mention is true to a certain degree. In the orginal series kirk meets spook, bones for the first time on the ship with the rest of the regulars.

In this version certain things have changed because of an event thats happen - and you get intro into all the characters and some of the back story and how they all come together.

It was a real god attempt and this film does come closest to recreating the spark that made the series so much of a cult.

• 1 decade ago

If you don't mind a few spoilers, read on...

There is some discussion in the movie regarding how events that unfolded at the beginning of the movie created an alternate timeline (or parallel universe). So yes, the movie does take place in a universe that is disconnected from the old Trek universe. I applaud the writers for making this decision; it will hopefully allow the die-hard Trek fans to enjoy the movie without worrying about whether or not it conforms to the "established Star Trek canon".

• 1 decade ago

I dont think it has much to do with making hardcore trek fans not question the movie. I think they did it so they have total freedom with future movies they will be making. This even opens up the chance to create a new tv series that goes in a totaly different direction then the previous shows. I could only imagine how hard it was to write for the series enterprise. Im sure there were alot of fans out there just waiting to pick it apart and let them know what they did wrong.

Source(s): Me
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Of Course the JJ Abrams movie is an alternative universe.

First off, the Menagerie never occurred with captain Pike as Captain Kirk is now the captain of the newly christened Enterprise.

Spock’s mother is dead even though she appears in an episode of TOS.

Um, planet Vulcan has been destroyed, so does that mean Tuvoc was never born or died on Vulcan?

Considering that Kirk of JJ Abrams is driven and shaped by the death of his father, his decision making process is influenced by this event and the events of being raised without him.

This is a new universe. And let’s not ignore the fact that Spock 1.0 lives in an era of Spock 2.0.

Everything changes.

• 1 decade ago

You would be correct.

Well, more specifically an alternate time line. Without revealing any major details, two travelers from the future get pulled back in time and cause changes which effect how Kirk, Spock, and crew meet and develop.

• 1 decade ago

It would be a major miracle if any of the ST movies were consistent with each other. They are each in their own alternate universe.

• 1 decade ago

Ummm, yeah...this is really a question for Y!A Entertainment, not Astronomy and Space.

• 1 decade ago

no its the same universe,just a few years earlier

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.