Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Question for everyone, religiously affiliated or not, believers or not...?

A "friend" of mine has a religious (fundamentalist Christian) group meet at their house every week after church. This week's topic is the Big Bang Theory. The discussion is being led by a fundamentalist Christian with absolutely no science education (beyond high school). He is being called a "teacher" for this discussion.

How do you feel about this and please list your religious affiliation. Thanks!

Rev, it's in the Cleveland area. If you would go I could try very hard to arrange it! I had similar notions, but it's 3 hours from me and I lack a good science background.

Favorite Answer

Presbyterian Christian. I have no feelings one way or another about what a small group of fundies study. And lets face it, if they had an astrophysicist in their group, I would be stunned. Wouldn't you?

While I AM Christian, I am not fundamentalist. I concur with our Sunni and Sufi friend in that there is no disharmony between Christian belief and the big bang.

There is an issue between this theory and fundamentalist/literalist Christian beliefs. I believe this theological view point to be flat-out wrong.

The activity you describe invites disinformation based on a distorted theology, creating an injury to the insult.

Affiliation: heavily unitarian-thinking United Methodist with a Taoist finish

Most Churches have a mid-week Bible Study, /women's/men's and Home Fellowship groups,

Nothing new there!

But if what you're saying IS true, I'd question the Minister and ask questions as to why they are introducing the Big-Bang theory into something, as the Church for our Lord, we do not believe in.

Crazy, it's like having a discussion about evolution in one of the groups.

We are Christ centred, the REAL Churches and don't bother about what we don't believe.

-Non Denominational.

EDIT:

It is like a support group for moms sitting around, adoring the milestones in their child and one week deciding they will speak about abortion instead of teething, nappy-rash or breast feeding????

• Mia

I think anyone who would go to a religious person with no formal education on a scientific topic for 'education' on it is not looking for real information but rather just what they want to hear. They are either not bright or too entrenched in their personal beliefs to hear other points of view objectively. If they were really interested in it they would take a course at university or community college or read any of the books authored by qualified individuals with relevant degrees and experience to back it up. It would be like me going to a strong evangelical Christian to learn about what Catholic believe or vice versa. I have no religious affiliation.

I'm a Christian.

I think this could be terrible. Look, I'm not saying that the man couldn't have done a lot of science research and simply not have a degree. However, if he's going to attempt to discuss scientific theory with only a high school level understanding -- that is just asking for problems.

I think any faithful person with a fear that they may some day "learn too much" and thus willfully stays ignorant -- doesn't have a lot of faith to stand upon.

I am a Sunni and Sufi Muslim.

The Big Bang Theory is in complete consonance with Islamic teaching. 1400 years ago, the Qur'an explicitly stated that the creation of the universe began with the splitting/separation of a singularity. (See Qur'an 21:30)

This fundamentalist Christian can do as he pleases, as far as I'm concerned. Assuming he doesn't intend to disprove well-researched scientific theories, and simply wants to talk about the religious implications, why not? He's free to do what he wants.

My feeling is they won't be rediscovering rocket science but I'm sure all will leave with a good feeling at how they "completely demolished the evil and idiotic theory which threathens our religion blah blah blah". And then they'll hit R&S or some other public forum and be torn to shreds.

well its gonna be biased propaganda and completely based in an utter misunderstanding of the Big Bang and im sure evolution will be brought up even though it has absolutely nothing to do with Big Bang theory

par for the course

It isn't going to be presented in a scientific factual setting. But most fundamentalists that I meet don't feel a need to present anything scientific.

Eclectic Pagan

• Joe S

I think that this person will teach things that will make the group feel good about their beliefs but that will probably not be factual.

I am affiliated with the Mormon church though my personal beliefs are closer to agnostic.