promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can A Married Man become A Roman Catholic Priest?

Can one change his faith, become a Roman Catholic, and go on to become a priest while still married?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

There are a few cases where married ministers were allowed to become Catholic priests, but they are quite rare.

If a married man converts to Catholicism and he is not already a priest, then no, he cannot become a priest while married. He can though become a deacon (that's the closest a married man to get to becoming a priest), but you do take a vow that if your wife dies, you will not remarry. You can then continue your journey towards becoming a priest.

In the cases where a person is a minister and converts to Catholicism and wishes to become a Catholic priest, everything is taken into account. The family must be in agreement with their decision and the priests who interview the minister pray and discern if he is truly called to the priesthood or not.

We believe in the lay person priesthood that the congregation shares, but we also believe that there are men who are called to the priesthood of Mekilzedeck (sp?) who serve as our shepards under the authority of Jesus.

• Val5 years agoReport

A religion against the nature and by choice, very fanny.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

The Roman Catholic Church *DOES* let married men become priests, under certain circumstances. There are many in the Marionite and Melcite rites, for example. In the U.S., there are several in the Roman rite as well - usually married clergy from other Christian traditions who convert to Catholicism. This decision is made by the local bishop. I have a friend who was a Baptist preacher, and he wanted to become a priest when he converted to Catholicism, but the bishop said it wasn't a good idea because his wife was vehemently anti-Catholic. If she had been converting also, it would have been a different story.

• Miz T
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I'm not Catholic, but half of my grandchildren are of that faith. The church official who performed the Christening ceremony was a married man. Never one to let an opportunity to learn something go by, I questioned how he could be a married priest, and the answer was, he was a deacon. He had decided that he had a vocation after he was already married and, as a married man, he could become a deacon and perform certain rituals, but he could not become a priest.

I didn't ask him if he could become a priest should his wife die, but then that's not part of your question, either.

• 1 decade ago

Yes. The Catholic Church does not require divorce or annulment for a previously married priest who converts from another religion.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I know of a Lutheran minister who converted to Catholicism, and he was allowed to stay married, but I have never heard of someone "becoming" a priest while married

• 1 decade ago

Looks like you can remain married if you were a minister of another faith, and covert to Catholicism.

If you become a widower, you are then bound to the same rules of celibacy as all other priests.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What is a priest according to the Bible?

Haggai 2:11 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Ask now the priests concerning the law, saying,

Can a true priest be married?

1Timothy 3:1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

1Timothy 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Source(s): www.esoriano.wordpress.com www.danielrazon.com www.untvweb.com
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes, I think there are a few rare examples. As long as you are married before you choose that vocation divorce is not required.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, with the bishop's approval. Usually, the man would have had to be clergy already in his previous faith tradition.

• 1 decade ago

As far as I know, only Episcopalian and Anglican priests who are already married have accomplished this exacta.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.