Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Could somebody, without bias, explain to me some basic beliefs of the US Green Party?

Pardon my ignorance. You don't know if you don't ask, I guess.

And by bias, I more mean...don't just say "they're a bunch of stupid hippies".

So what you're saying is...they're a bunch of stupid hippies.

*cough*

Favorite Answer

I voted for the Green Party once, but I realized sadly, that they don't have a snowball's chance in h*** of winning because so many people vote for the main 2 parties. A lot of America for example, has been manipulated by the conservative right wing war--nutjobs. A lot of people have a jockstrap & caring more about what their favorite celebrities have been up to attitude, rather than caring about what actually goes on even in their own kid's school. Then when crap hits the fan & things are affecting them at home or when their own kid gets shot by somebody else's kid who's flipped out & shot someone, these same yuppies throw a fit & say things like "how horrible!" or "what are things coming to?!?" These same yuppies don't care if they have a gas guzzling monster of a suv guzzling gas, till gas prices hit 4 dollars or higher a gallon. These same yuppies don't care if their air is polluted till they themselves get athsma or other bad lung conditions & then they're ready to sue someone over it. The green party wants to stop pollution before it kills any more people & they want the planet to offer better alternative sources of energy. They also don't want to jump into wars, just because some nutjob like George Bush says we should because he thinks so. Which as reminder, when it comes to using his brains, king George didn't seem to be using his, except for how much money he'd be making him, his daddy, Cheney, Rove, Rumsfeld all their buddies at Carlyle group, Unocal/Chevron Corporation & Halliburton Corporation. Oh, you'll love this, Carlysle group that the Bushes have stock in (unless George cashed his options in as he's allowed to do when he leaves political office)--Carlyle group have refused to disclose their earnings & I'm sure George, Cheney, Rumsfeld & Rove won't donate one penny of their billions they earned from these wars to the injured soldiers they sent to fight wars that made them billions of dollars. Sadly the green party won't win elections though, so I vote for the less worse of the 2 main parties who have a chance of winning--the democrats. The singer of the Punk band Dead Kennedys--Jello Biafra has ran against Diane Feinstein for Mayor of San Francisco & against Ralph Nader for the nomination for the president on the Green Party ticket by the way. Here's Jello Biafra--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC0P7E4Daa4

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mBU2IjiNg0

Youtube thumbnail

Which by the way, I'm a Christian, but I get into Punk Rock too & I know I have a brain God gave me to know when somebody like George Bush manipulated people with religion & fear to get public support. The US could've sent the troops they sent to Iraq to Afghanistan instead & had Bin Laden stopped dead in his tracks years ago, plus this country would be in less of economic mess it's in now, if he'd done that & if him & other aristocratic republicans wouldn't have taken regulations off of the banks & if they wouldn't have taken regulations off of financial & investment corporations, besides also gas wouldn't have been as high if they would've had gas guzzling regulations on the auto industry. The laissez faire philosophy for business that the republicans have doesn't work when greed is left unchecked & it ruins everything for everyone else just so the elite wealthy people can make more money to add to their millions or billions. The democrat party unfortunately though, is the only party that has a chance of beating the conservatives who favor the wealthy over the working classes.

I am not sure how unbiased I will be, but will try. There is a group that you have not mentioned and that is a separate group within a party. They are the progressives. The greens are fairly straight forward and really haven't made a lot of political waves so I know little about them except their platform is based around ecological issues. Progressive Liberals are in favor of big government with the power structure going from the government to the citizen. If allowed to gain the full power they seek, the governmental will be Marxist in nature. Progressive Conservatives, like the progressive liberals seek total control over society. Their government would lean toward Fascism. Liberals (moderate to centrist) are really not much different than the conservatives in that they believe that the Constitution is the law and basis of our society. They lean a little left of center. Conservatives (moderate to centrist) are like the moderate liberals but tend to be a little right of center.Both the moderate conservatives and moderate liberals believe that the power starts with the citizen and power is granted to the government from them. The reason parties were not mentioned by name is that the progressives are in both major parties and have subverted the direction of their course. Supporters of both parties are still in denial of that and tend to be very defensive of the party. The grass root Republicans have started to be aware ot the danger of some of their representatives and are pushing for a change. Where the Democrat grass roots stand will be borne out in time once they see where the leadership is going. I do have faith that they too will start to put pressure on their leadership to get back toward the center. This is just my opinion and I am sure that there are some who think that they are progressives on both sides that do not identify themselves with the description and will feel offended which is not the intent here.

• Witchy

This is the most recent party platform that I could find. It is from 2004. This explains their views on various issues.

http://www.gp.org/platform/2004/

It is always best to go to a party's own website to read their views. In addition to that, I like this site. It is unbiased. If you scroll down the page about half-way, on the left side bar you will see the heading "Party Match". Click on the party that you are interested in learning about.

http://www.ontheissues.org/default.htm

green party is basically left wing, and libertarian. you dont have as much policing as you do currently in the usa. you wont see as many people locked up. drug use would probably be more tolerated. you would see more govt social programs. free healthcare. free university. better welfare, and retirement services. less military. more environmental protection. more enegry conservation such as lights that will turn off when nobody is around, or your hot water on a timer. youll probably see more gay rights, and less religion. oh and i know you americans are going to like this. more taxes.

Capitalism and environmentalism are incompatible. If you truly wanted environmentally sustainable solutions, you'd support socialism.

I guess if you wanted to check out the policies you could just google it.

They believe the life of a Mexican Gray Wolf is more important than the life of a human being.

They believe the life of a Spotted Owl is more important than the livelihood of a human being.

They believe the life of a tree is more important than the life of the tree that became a 2X4 stud in their house.

The end.

At their heart, they hate people and would like to see the Earth without a single human being on it. To that end, they are against development and progress and in favor of protecting the environment at all costs -- usually through a fascist government that dictates lifestyles.