What are the pros and cons of child vaccinations for things such as measles?

I am wondering, for my future child's sake, if I should vaccinate, not vaccinate, or only vaccinate for certain things. I would like to know the pros and cons of all three options.

Please, do not post responses like "mom's who don't vaccinate their kids are dumb" or anything like that, I need serious answers and proof to back them up.

Thank you all in advance for all your help!

Oh, and to clarify, I intend to home school when it comes down to schooling, so I won't have to vaccinate just to get my kid(s) into school. Putting this in to give a little more info so this doesn't come up later needing clarification. But I do intend on socializing my child. So knowing that, if I waited until after all the other kids should have gotten their vaccinations, would that help minimize the risk?

Favorite Answer

I am choosing to selectively vaccinate my daughter. This is a choice that I made with significant input from her pediatrician, this is what is best for her.

Keep in mind that the routine vaccination schedule is made by the CDC, a BUSINESS (that means they are out to make a profit) that makes money from the drug companies by putting their vaccines on the "strongly recommended" list. That is one of the reasons that Gardasil was rushed through the testing process and is now being investigated for the deaths of multiple teens and young adults, at the same time they are starting to recommend it for boys as well! Merck and Company (the makers of Gardasil) and the CDC are saying that it's perfectly safe (keep in mind that the CDC makes money from kickbacks from Merck and Company) and that these otherwise healthy girls simply had heart attacks for no reason. This is just one example of possible side effects of vaccines that are downplayed. Another, possibly more common, example is the flu shot. There have been numerous studies done that prove that there is no relation between getting a flu shot and not getting the flu in children under five. The flu shot is basically ineffective in children under 5, yet it is still on the "strongly recommended" list! There is no vaccine that is "required" they can only be "strongly recommended". A doctor will recommend a flu shot (made from eggs) to a 4 month old baby, while at the same time recommending that the child not be given eggs to eat until they are at least a year old because of the fear of an allergy!

Another concern I have is regarding the varicella (chicken pox) vaccine. They are now saying that all children "need" to have the chicken pox vaccine, but that they really aren't sure how long the vaccine will last and if it will ever permanently "take" so they are recommending a booster shot every 5 years or so. Doesn't sound too bad, right? But that's what they recommend for a tetanus booster too, and when is the last time you went in for a tetanus booster? Let's assume everyone gets their chicken pox boosters until they are 18, now their immunity will wear off when they are in their mid-20's or so. Now the chicken pox is a possibly life-threatening illness instead of a relatively mild viral infection. See what I mean?

Yes, the risk of permanent damage from vaccines is relatively low and I'm sure that's a big comfort to the thousands of vaccine injured children out there, but why play the odds? Your child's vaccine schedule should be something that you work out with your child's pediatrician, there is not a "one size fits all" plan and it's not something you should do on your own. By all means educate yourself and don't allow yourself to be pressured into something you don't feel is right, but do listen to your child's doctor and take what they say into consideration.

I recommend reading books by Dr. Sears and the book "What your doctor may not tell you about Children's Vaccinations" by Stephanie Cave. Although I like Dr. Sears, the book by Stephanie Cave (who is also a doctor) is well written and very easy to understand. She devotes medium, easy to read chapters to each vaccine, outlining the pros and cons and then letting the patient (or parent) come to their own conclusion based on their own health and health history.

One of the reasons we are choosing to selectively vaccinate on an alternate schedule is because auto-immune diseases run in my family so my daughter runs a higher risk of having permanent damage from the vaccines. This is not going to be the case for everyone.

Even if you choose to get your child all their vaccines many pediatricians still recommend spreading them out, at least at first. That way if there is a reaction it can be pinpointed to one vaccine and steps can be taken to avoid that reaction in the future.

Be wary of doctors that say things like "nothing bad will happen" or "there is no risk", this type of downplaying of the risks is not helpful. There is a risk with all medical procedures, including vaccines. The risk may be relatively small, but a good doctor will take your concerns into consideration and discuss them with you.

I know this is not a popular opinion around here, but it's my opinion, which is what you asked for :-)

If you would like to discuss this more or if you would like me to point you in the direction of some relatively non-biased articles and websites (there are none that are totally non-biased) please email me at diann_model@yahoo.com and I will be more then happy to share.

• Lisa

Good for you and your future children that you are researching this now, while you still have a lot of time and no pressure. I am so glad I started researching this 3 years before my first child was born. At first, I planned on delayed and selective vaccination. Then, after a lot more research, I decided on no vaccines at all. My kids are now 5 and 2, and are very healthy--a lot healthier than their vaccinated friends.

I think a lot of parents who did vaccinate do not want to consider the possibility that they may have allowed harm to come to their children. So most are closed-minded about the issue and have no desire to research it.

Vaccines can cause injury,chronic health problems, and death. Vaccines can cause allergies, asthma, ear infections, ADHD, autism, eczema, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, brain damage, SIDS, etc. Some children are more susceptible to vaccine injury than others. However, there are currently no tests available to see which children are more likely to be injured. So every time a parent allows their child to be vaccinated, they are playing Russian Roulette.

The diseases that are vaccinated for are either extremely rare or not a big deal. For example, polio and diphtheria are extremely rare. There haven't been any cases of wild polio in the U.S. since 1979. Between 1979 and 2000, there were some cases of polio caused by the old live virus polio vaccine, which was pulled from the U.S. market in 2000.

Hepatittis B is spread through intravenous drug use (shared needles) and sex. So babies born to uninfected mothers have no reason to get that vaccine until they are old enough to use drugs and have sex.

Hepatitis A and rubella are so mild in children that they often cause no symptoms at all. Rubella can cause birth defects if a non-immune pregnant woman catches it. So it makes much more sense to allow girls the opportunity to catch rubella as children, then get the vaccine before pregnacy if they haven't gained natural immunty yet.

My 5 year old had pertussis (whooping cough) when she was 2. I had it at the same time as her. Although the cough was annoying, we felt fine otherwise, and I never wished she had been vaccinated, or that I had gotten a booster. Both my kids have had chickenpox. It's quite ridiculous that a vaccine was ever approved for that.

Parents didn't used to be afraid of measles. They even took their kids to neighborhood measles parties to get it over with. I've researched the symptoms of measles, and they just don't seem scary to me. Cough, high fever, rash, sensitivity to light. My daughter has already had fevers up to 105 from roseola and an adenovirus (no vaccines exist for these, by the way).

Oh, that's another thing you should research before having kids--fever. Did you know that fever cannot cause brain damage unless it goes over 107.6 F? And it will never get that high from illness--only heatstroke or poisoning. Fever from illness is beneficial, and nothing should be done to lower it. Especially Tylenol. It was recently discovered that Tylenol use in infants under one year old increased the risk of developing asthma later in life.

I know I haven't covered all the vaccines, but you have time on your side.

If you decide not to homeschool for some reason, your kids can go to school. Here's the exemption information for every state. http://mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=...

Well, thousands of man-hours of research has gone into what the best thing to do is. Which vaccinations are helpful, which aren't, when the best time is to give them...

And all this research is available to you. It's called the standard vaccination program.

"if I waited until after all the other kids should have gotten their vaccinations, would that help minimize the risk?"

No, the risk is minimised by using the standard vaccination program. That's what the standard vaccination program IS - it's the schedule which minimises the risk to yor child, based on statistics from thousands of kids. What, you thought it was something some administrator scribbled down one morning for fun?

Unless you are a qualified medical statistician, you are not going to understand the proof to back them up. It's far more complex than that. Don't put your child at risk because of naive assumptions which people have written up on pretty websites. If you do want to see the research papers, ask your doctor where you can access them - you will probably need permission to use your nearest university library.

Well I personally wont get my little girl any vaccinations until she is two years old, I believe its a personal preference! There will be people who say its ignorant to not get them vaccinated and others who say it is ignorant to do so. I don't judge anyone on what they decide, all I know is that most SID cases happen up to two weeks after getting an injection and also my older brother got the DTP and stopped breathing that night. Just do your research on both sides and then decide which one you will go with. Good luck and don't let anyone make you feel guilty for what you choose. To the person saying you wont have to plan your child's funeral if you get the shot, hmmm there have been many parents who have had to plan their child's funeral BECAUSE of the vaccines, who's child probably would still be here if it weren't for the vaccine.

The good thing is you wont risk having to care for a permanently disabled child and you wont risk having to arrange your childs funeral.

The good thing about NOT getting vaccinations, is that you dont have to deal with the 24hr fussiness.

Then again, if you do choose not to vaccinate, don't worry too much - the majority do vaccinate which means your child will probably be ok. However that is down to nothing but luck. If we didnt vaccinate these diseases would be killing and maiming our babys everyday.

if you vaccinate you have peace of mind your baby wont get measles. by getting him vaccinated you are helping to stamp out a disease in todays world completely. if you vaccinate your also stopping other children being put at risk as your child cant catch them and give them to others. you are preventing disease in this world. i think a tiny prick of a needle that they wont remember and maybe a tiny bit of fussiness for a few hours if that is better than them being at risk of death by a major disease that could be prevented from happening, the guilt i would feel by not vaccinating if my baby died would be catastrophic. millions of babies worldwide are vaccinated every year and my baby and every baby i know has never had any negative effects apart from one baby having abit of fussiness shortly after the needle but nothing to be concerned about at all she was fine after like 3 hours - but if your baby had the measles then that would obviously be a concern x

i in my opinion think of its insane to fill toddlers bodies up with a majority of those harsh chemical aspects! additionally to the mothers who say how can somebody no longer vaccinate their infant and that it is not "shown" to reason injury... HA in keeping with threat you all could have examine up slightly greater previously letting a doctor fill your infant with disgusting chemical aspects... in the event that they reason no injury why does the government provide moms and dads money after their infant has the two been killed or mentally destroyed for something of their existence?? additionally why is it that maximum SIDS ensue between 2 to 6 weeks of having a injection, Hmmm thats only too lots of a twist of fate for me. i would be waiting until my daughter is one to get her any photos.

Pros: They are vaccinated against serious disease.

Cons: Really, really, really small risk of complications.