any advice on how to get a wal-mart dept. manager job?

I am 21 and I have worked at wal-mart a little over a year. I started with wal-mart as an unloader from may-august. I was one of three unloaders who didn't get fired. I went to meats as a sales associate in august. I am still there. The meat dept. mgr job came open and I applied and interveiwed but didn't get it. I have experieance with the dept. and know how to do alot of its duties. They gave it to a guy on overnights, who had no telzon expeirance and has not been there very long. I was told by my assistant mgr and store mgr, that I was doing a good job. The assistant said he wanted to help me work on my weaknesses and help me succeed. A few people said that I would get it, and they were shocked that I did not. What should I do?

Favorite Answer

Find out what your assistant manager thinks your weakness are and fix them. Also work on whatever negative was brought up on your last review. Get with your personnel manager and ensure that you are signed up for any positions that interest you so that when they open you will be considered.