Buttercream icing / frosting without icing sugar?

Hi Guys,

I'm a bit of a health freak and would like to know if it's possible to recreate the texture of butter icing / frosting without using the highly processed icing sugar.

I want to be able to pipe it onto cupcakes, i'm not looking for a melted chocolate recipe, I want to create the classy piped icing effect.

I don't like using vegetable oils or margarine so butter or cream are my only options.

Greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks !!

Icing sugar is highly processed - and is also known as powdered sugar.

Regular sugar or organic sugar as i plan to use has not been through a high refining process.

Instant pudding mixes that are "SUGAR FREE" contain all kinds of other sweeteners to make up for the lack of sugar.... so that a no go!

I'm not a fan of sweeteners either! I just want to be able to use organic cane sugar or rapadura mixed with butter, cream or cream cheese..

Butter and cream are perfectly healthy, they are natural animal products, margarine / shortening are man made...Don't believe me..Google how margarine is made... !

Supermarkets have lead people to believe the opposite so they can sell cheap man made stuff at low prices.

Don't even get me started on the animal fat is bad for you...animal fat has been around centuries and only in the last 50 year have we had an obesity increase thanks to man-made carbs and oils...

Anyway...a simple recipe suggestion would be nice!!

Best Answer

take whatever sugar you are using and run it through a food processor. It will make it the right texture for making frosting!

1

Source(s): Perfect Paleo Recipe Cookbook : http://PaleoCookbook.raiwi.com/?aNTo
  • Kelley

Just use Butter and normal sugar you'd use for coffee, etc. 120g Butter 280g Sugar

As far as I know you can't get the 'regular' butter-cream frosting without using sugar. You can use Splenda, I've used it for most everything at some point. Sorry but you just can't have your cake and eat it too, LOL!

If you are using butter and cream then I don't see why you can't use icing sugar. None of them are exactly 'healthy' foods. However if you have a food processor then just whizz up your normal sugar until it is powdered.

try mixing sugar free instant pudding mix(instant whip type) and cream cheese to make the frosting

it seems nothing is suitable for you then,and may i suggest the cupcakes are not healthy either,have an oat cookie

• Sara

Vegetable is not only a technological term, it is a cooking term. So the qualifications to become vegetable are not very coherent, which is why we have cases like the tomato: people argue both ways.

"Icing sugar" is nothing more than regular sugar that's been powdered. learn to read a label. It's not "highly processed". It's just SUGAR. And "buttercream" doesn't actually HAVE cream in it. Maybe one or two TEASPOOONS of milk, and butter and sugar and whatever flavoring you want.