How long does a Toyota Prius battery last? How much does it cost to replace one?

Also, if there are any major repairs and/or parts needed for a Prius?

Favorite Answer

There are two batteries in the Toyota Prius. Which one are you asking about?

In the US, the entire hybrid system (which includes the hybrid battery pack) is warrantied for 8 years/100,000 miles.

If you are in a California-emission state, the hybrid battery pack in a 2004-2009 Prius is further covered under the CA emissions warranty for 10 years/150,000 miles. (But that is just the hybrid battery and certain emissions components, not the entire hybrid system...) Last I heard the upcoming 2010 Prius will have a longer warranty.

That's a full warranty (not pro-rated). No cost to you for parts or labor.

(But just because the warranty is over, doesn't mean that the item will fail! You don't see bumpers falling off at the end of the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper-to bumper new vehicle warranty that is on most vehicles...)

If for some reason you do need to replace the hybrid battery out of warranty, do note that your Toyota dealer should offer you a $200 rebate/bounty on it, so that it gets properly recycled.

Used Prius hybrid battery packs (such as from wrecked vehicles) have been selling for less than US$1000 on eBay. Why pay a dealer the price of a new pack for a used car? Alternately, an individual bad cell could be replaced, but Toyota dealers usually prefer to replace the whole unit as it is easier than a cell by cell basis.

The price for new Prius hybrid batteries has recently come down. They used to be priced in the US at $2985, but now for the NHW11 model (US 2001-2003 model years) it is $2299 and the NHW20 model (US 2004-current model years) is $2588. http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/TYT20080... (Dealer labor charges (which price varies depending on where you live) for moving an approx. 100 lb. hybrid battery pack could easily add up to another US$1000 depending on your dealer and their competence...)

Average life span? no one really knows. There just hasn't been enough of them failing for us to tell you how long they'll last. (It is still a rare occurrence, even for the US Prius which have been out for almost 9 years now, with many over 200,000 miles without any hybrid battery issues...)

To quote Toyota's press release:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_...

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases/View?id=TYT20...

<quote>

How long does the Prius battery last and what is the replacement cost?

The Prius battery (and the battery-power management system) has been designed to maximize battery life. In part this is done by keeping the battery at an optimum charge level - never fully draining it and never fully recharging it. As a result, the Prius battery leads a pretty easy life. We have lab data showing the equivalent of 180,000 miles with no deterioration and expect it to last the life of the vehicle. We also expect battery technology to continue to improve: the second-generation model battery is 15% smaller, 25% lighter, and has 35% more specific power than the first. This is true of price as well. Between the 2003 and 2004 models, service battery costs came down 36% and we expect them to continue to drop so that by the time replacements may be needed it won't be a much of an issue. Since the car went on sale in 2000, Toyota has not replaced a single battery for wear and tear.

Is there a recycling plan in place for nickel-metal hydride batteries?

Toyota has a comprehensive battery recycling program in place and has been recycling nickel-metal hydride batteries since the RAV4 Electric Vehicle was introduced in 1998. Every part of the battery, from the precious metals to the plastic, plates, steel case and the wiring, is recycled. To ensure that batteries come back to Toyota, each battery has a phone number on it to call for recycling information and dealers are paid a $200 "bounty" for each battery.

</quote>

However, the Prius' 12v accessory battery (like every other car has) is used to power the accessories (lights, fans, radio, alarm, etc.) and the computers. Unlike other cars' 12v accessory batteries, though, it is not used to start the car (so it is physically smaller and therefore easier to drain), but it does start the computers. The computers open a relay that hooks up the 200+v hybrid traction battery, and it is really the hybrid traction battery that starts the gasoline engine (using an electric motor). It is possible to drain the 12v accessory battery (leave the headlights on overnight, leave the car undriven for over 2 weeks, etc.), just like on any other car. With age (5+ years, usually) or repeated drainings/misuse, you'll probably need to replace it eventually. AGM style, small physical size, and odd posts, mean that you'll probably have to go to the dealer, $150 - $300 (depending if you need an adapter).

there's a lot of myth, urban legend, and misinformation out there on hybrid vehicle batteries and vehicle production, thanks to a flawed marketing paper by CNW and a poo

Source(s): You may do better to ask some actual owners: http://www.priuschat.com/ (among many other sites)
    • Well, the fact that the salvaged batteries from wrecks are SELLING ON EBAY suggests there is some sort of demand for them so lack of evidence that the batteries don t fail contradicts the market we see for them.

1

• Jard

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): long toyota prius battery cost replace: https://shorturl.im/o2ZOs
  • dueitt

Prius Battery

My 2010 Prius with 108,000 miles on it just had an issue with the Traction Battery. A bunch of waring lights on the dash lit up along a message to get maintenance on the Hybrid System. Toyota replaced the batter, filter and fan at no cost under the warranty. (I live in California where the warrantee is 150,000 miles) I saw the price on the warranty paper work and the total was $2,995.95. Was glad that it was covered by warranty. Plan to drive it to 200K or better so nice to have the new battery now.

My '07 Prius hybrid battery died today at 169,000 miles. I am not the original owner, but have put over 100,000 miles on it in 5 years. I researched and called around and it is what it is. It will cost just under $3000 to have it replaced.

There was no warning, just some scary dash lights that I have never seen before when I was leaving the parking structure at work. When I looked in the owner's manual it said that it was brake related, but I had new put on last year so couldn't believe it was that. I called the dealership and they said I could drive it in. As I drove, I heard a noise coming from the back of the car, like static. I put on my hazards and drove slow on the freeway. Acceleration got worse the further I drove. Just made it to the dealership and was shaking from the stress. No replacement in stock so I have to rent a car for a day until it can be fixed.

I didn't feel as bad when my dad told me his Honda hybrid has had to have the battery replaced twice. He has had it for a long time, though, and has over 200,000 miles on it.

I have a 2003 Toyota Prius with a little over 33,000 miles on it. I brought it back to the dealer because all the warning lights came on, and was told that both batteries had to be replaced. I am paying 3,780.00 for this service, and nothing was said about a $200 rebate for the return of the large battery.

What bothers me more than anything is that I was told that the warranty for this new battery is one (1) year, with unlimited mileage.

Needless to say I'm very disappointed!

I have Toyota 2007 prius. Lately i have a problem starting the car. Upon checking the hybrid battery(which is in the trunk) tested fine. Once jump start is given its fine. The other day i took the car to get it filled at gas station. I turned off the engine while it was getting filled. Then i started the car it would not start. They had to give a jump start. The mechanic told me that the front battery need to be changed as its the original battery and gave me an estimate figure of $270. Did any one had this kind of problem? Thanks in advance.

padma

We have a 2005 Prius which warning lights came on, we took to Toyota in BC Canada (Car originally from Texas) we have just been told that the battery's at the back have corrosion. I am surprised by this as though this should be a sealed unit that would not have this issue, any know?

• Fahimeh6 years agoReport

I have the same problem now, the light r on and it wont go into drive mode, all the warning lights are on, did you figure out your problem, what did you replaced ?

My 2005 prius hybrid battery just have died having various error message when I check each individual cell

1 cell reads 6.8 v just replaced it bingo I got it remove the 12v battery before starting all dash error display

gone ready to go again . I am a pinoy wanted to help others who cant afford to pay high cost of charge on

dealer.

My Prius 2005 battery just passed away. It will cost $3500 or less to do it at a good dealer. Replacing yourself needs some knowledge and care. You might end up missing some fingers or toes and a massive explosion. However, that is the chance you can take, if you do not like life or limb.

• Jeannette4 years agoReport

Use the right tools and insulated gloves to protect yourself when working with high voltage. If you do not know what you are doing then it is best to leave it to a professional mechanic.