I am just curious, why do GOD allow slavery?

I mean, you can see that in the BIBLE in the GENESIS part

Update:

I mean, since God created all humans, arent they all supposed to be equal?

26 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

I really think that people who raise this objection are missing the point. If you'll permit me, I'll set the stage by talking about slavery, ancient and modern, because in our culture the issue is understandably charged with overtones that it didn't have in the ancient world. In his book "Race and Culture," African-American scholar Thomas Sowell points out that every major world culture until modern period, without exception, has had slavery. While it could be be tied to military conquest, usually slavery served an economic function. They didn't have bankruptcy laws, so if you got yourself into terrible hock, you sold yourself and/or your family into slavery. As it was discharging a debt, slavery was also providing work. It wasn't necessarily all bad; at least it was an option for survival.

Please understand me: I'm not trying to romanticize slavery in any way. However, in Roman times there were menial laborers who were slaves, and there were also others who were the equivalent of distinguished Ph.D.'s who were teaching families. And there was no association of a particular race with slavery. In American slavery, though, all blacks and only blacks were slaves. That was one of the peculiar horrors of it, and it generated an unfair sense of black inferiority that many of us continue to fight to this day. Now let's look at the Bible. In Jewish society, under the Law everyone was to be freed every Jubilee. In other words, there was a slavery ban every seventh year. Whether or not things actually worked out that way, this was nevertheless what God said, and this was the framework in which Jesus was brought up.

But you have to keep your eye on Jesus' mission. Essentially, he did not come to overturn the Roman economic system, which included slavery. He came to free men and women from their sins. And here's my point: What his message does is transform people so they begin to love God with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength and to love their neighbor as themselves. Naturally, that has an impact on the idea of slavery. Look at what the apostle Paul says in his letter to Philemon concerning a runaway slave named Onesimus. Paul doesn't say to overthrow slavery, because all that would do would be to get him executed. Instead he tells Philemon he'd better treat Onesimus as a brother in Christ, just as he would treat Paul himself. And then, to make matters perfectly clear, Paul emphasizes, "Remember, you owe your whole life to me because of the gospel."

The overthrowing of slavery, then, is through the transformation of men and women by the gospel rather than through merely changing an economic system and impose a new order. The whole communist dream was to have a revolutionary man followed by the new man. Trouble is, they never found new man. The got rid of the oppressors of the peasants, but that didn't mean the peasants were suddenly free. They were just under a new regime of darkness. In the final analysis, if you want lasting change, you've got to transform the hearts of human beings. And that was Jesus' mission.

It's also worth asking the question: How did slavery stop? The driving impetus for the abolition of slavery was the evangelical awakening in England. Christians rammed abolition through Parliament in the beginning of the nineteenth century and then eventually used British gunboats to stop the slave trade across the Atlantic. While there were about eleven million African who were shipped to America, and many didn't make it, there were about thirteen million Africans Africans shipped become slaves in the Arab world. Again it was the British, prompted by people whose hearts had been changed by Christ, who sent their gunboats to the Persian Gulf to oppose this.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

All populations had slavery. Long before the bible and long after it. The Muslims, for instance, had the monopoly on the African slave trade for a very long time before the colonial Americans came into it.

Native Americans took slaves from each other's tribes after a battle. So did the Egyptians, Phoenicians, Canaanites, Greeks, Romans, etc. all long before the bible.

There is not one population anywhere in the world that did not participate in slavery, long before the bible.

Slavery is still going on in many Muslim countries across Africa and the Middle East. Sudan, Saudi Arabia, etc.

There is also the slave trade around the world that kidnaps women to serve as sexual slaves, that's a real problem in the world today.

• jen
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Year 2513, it was Egypt that had Abraham's family in slavery,

Jacob was there Gen.47:9,11, at age 130, with 70 in family,

215 years after the covenant to Abraham was 427 years after

Noah in flood, year 1656, it is 215 years to Moses at Exodus,

Exo.7:7; 12:37,40,41, 430 years after Abraham's covenant for

heirs to have the law, Gal.3:16-26, in 40 years, Deut.1:3; 34:7;

The world was under slavery of violence to the flood, not God

caused, but people caused, the flood ended that year 1656.

Abraham, Matt.1:1-17, son #20 in the genealogy of Jesus,

at age 75, 427 years after the flood, gets the covenant that

his future family [ he has none ], will own all the land God

describes to him, Gen.14:1-18, land grabbing land pirates

already has it all, no way rich Abraham, Gen.2:13, can buy

anything, he is a pilgrim, so is his grandson Jacob, Gen.47:

9,11, 215 years later [ fortold to Abraham, Gen.15:13,16; to

generation four, Exo.6:16-23,26 ]; of the 215 years to Moses,

Joseph has been dead 145 years, Moses was born in slavery

when Pharoah was ordering all male infants killed at birth and

Moses, Acts 7:1-60, lived to be age 80 at Exodus to freedom

for all from that slavery and in 40 years, see their land, year

Judges 10:3, 11:26, 301 years later, year 2854, 1212 BCE at

1198 years after flood, they have been and are attacked often

by those trying to take their land that God gave to them. The

law of slavery [ as a form of employment for most for 7 years ],

some things given in the law was never a need for any, and

is nothing compared to their surrounding from Abraham's time.

King David cause a time of peace so that Solomon began the

temple 480 years after Moses died, Solomon had 36 years to

997 BCE.

The USA had colonies here 1620 CE after KJV Bible is from

1611 CE, the bible did not stop slavery here or WW1 or WW2

and the holocaust.

Source(s): Bible. World history.
  • 1 decade ago

God did free the Jews in slavery when they cried out for help read the story in Exodus. Yes everyone is supposed to have equal rights- slavery is mankind's doing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

God doesn't allow slavery or condone it. In the book of Genesis god tells man that for his transgressions against God and for straying from HIS ways that he would be bound to service to another man. "Allowing" would suggest that God took people by force and conscripted them into service. That wasn't the case. Slavery in it's present form originated in the time of Israel (person not place), and his children who entered into Egypt. And even then it wasn't an instant thing, but one that took place over a period of decades. More recently it involves the 15th and 16th century maritime sailors who bought and sold slaves who were taken from conquered lands or tribes. Not to say that these were isolated incidents. Unfortunately, slavery in most forms has been around since time immemorial and will go on until the second coming. But it isn't a question of God allowing slavery to take place. It's a question of weaker and less fortunate people being dominated and forced into it. God, giving us all free will and deciding to let man live his life by choices and consequence, is just letting human nature take it's course in all things. I don't really choose to believe that God would "allow" it to happen, but to interfere with it happening would go against His own doctrine that Man live his own life, to his own design.

• vay
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

there became a query pronounced in the backyard of eden as to no remember if God had the excellent way of existence or ought to guy rule himself. The question necessary time to teach which became greater constructive so God allowed guy to rule himself and alongside with many different issues slavery and the Holocaust have been issues God allowed to teach guy he has no concept the thank you to rule himself. it extremely is God's place to let us know what's sweet and incorrect. bear in concepts that God will rectify all of the deaths led to by employing guy nevertheless the promised resurrection.

• 1 decade ago

God does not allow slavery. The GREATEST gift he ever gave is the ability to make our own decisions, whether they were right or wrong. he gave us his rules and it is up to us to follow them or not. The people who do the slavery thing are making a choice, and the people who are made the slaves will be there to point out their abusers in the Final Judgment.

Remember, whenever you make a choice it is like picking up a stick. One end has the choice and the other is the consequence. When you pick up one end, you have to pick up the other end.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because, like me, God thinks the sight of a naked, chained woman kneeling in the dust is incredibly hot.

C´mon, tell me that Biblegod is not an unapologetic sadist. Tell me and I shall laugh at you.

Edit: Randave, Cindy tells us that slavery still exists in the world today. May I express the fervent hope that you will experience that first-hand.

• 1 decade ago

No, men are not meant to be equal. For to be equal in the "whole" sense of the word means that no one should be prettier than others, no man should be more handsome, and no woman should be more beautiful, and for that to happen, we should all look the same. Woah, imagine the chaos.

maybe this will enlighten you.

Romans

9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

9:22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

9:23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory

God alloweth things not to be equal to make his power known.

John

9:1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.

9:2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?

9:3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

if you seek more answers, seek this man.

esoriano.wordpress.com

• 1 decade ago

There is alot of things in the bible. Shellfish is considered a sin in Leviticus. Not to mention the whole stoning your wife if she's slept around and the killing your son in the name of the Lord. (Abraham) The bible was written around a time when slavery was acceptable so it would make sense for this to be written.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.