Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

First time dog owner siberina husky?

I've been around dogs for years but i've never had a chance to own one until now.

I've seen plenty of people saying it's a bad idea and plenty of people saying it's negligable.

I'm doing it anyway, just want to know how hard it will be as a first time owner?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I'm amused and a little dismayed at how those who have told you that "any" breed of dog is fine for a first time owner, as long as you are prepared to own a dog. It is people who assume that Siberians are "just like any other dog" that should never own them.

The reasons I don't recommend a Siberian for a novice dog owner are as follows:

1. They don't do things just because it will please you. They have to see the point, and they have to see what's in it for them. Making you happy isn't good enough.

2. They don't think lying by your feet for hours at a time is fun. Being near you isn't heaven...unless there is nothing else to do. A Siberian can almost always find something else to do.

3. If you've never dealt with a shedding dog before, a Siberian will be a real eye opener. They don't just shed hair, they blow coat in huge tufts, which stick to everything.

4. If you've never obedience trained a dog before, a Siberian is not a good dog to start with. If they don't respect you, they won't pay you the slightest bit of attention. Pushing the envelope is their favorite pastime. You need to be aware of what motivates them, and you need to understand that most Siberians are obedient on *their terms*, not yours.

With all due respect to Genie, her dog is 5 months old. She has 12-14 years left, and the hard part hasn't even started yet. Siberian puppies are stellar: whip-smart, impish, clever little creatures that learn to sit for a treat in the blink of an eye. They are off-leash responsive, and they think you're great. Then...at about 10-12 months old, they wake up and realize they're Siberians, and they don't care what you think.

This is why most of our rescues are 18 mos.-3 years old when we get them; people can't deal with the adolescent/young adult.

If you have a well-fenced yard, understand that your dog cannot be allowed off-lead (and still must have a fair amount of exercise), understand that it will likely kill cats, birds, and rodents, and are willing to commit to firm, fair, consistent obedience training from the very beginning, you might be fine.

But if you expect your Siberian to romp loose through the fields with you, fetch your paper, protect your home, and wait patiently outside for you when you stop into a store...you will be sorely disappointed.

Hope this helps.

PS - I don't recommend alpha rolling your puppy to establish dominance (holding it belly up until it "submits") as someone suggested...lower pack members don't submit because they are *forced* to, they do it because they recognize their rank. Making the dog work for every reward it receives is a much easier, less foolish pathway to establishing dominance.

Source(s): Siberian husky owner/exhibitor, musher, rescue, breeder for 20+ years.
  • Desoto
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

If you are finnancially ready to own a dog (food, vet care, toys, training) and have hours a day to spend training and exercising a dog, and your living arrangements are not likely to change, and any changes that do occur would allow you to keep the dog, then owning a dog is fine.

As for first time ownership, A husky is one of the top ten breeds I would not recommend to a new owner. They are wonderful dogs but not easy ones to own.

Huskies are smart, but they dont always take well to training, if a husky cant see the point in doing something, they are simply not going to do it.

They have a high prey drive, you have to have them leashed in public at all times. Dont plan on owning any tiny dogs, rodents, or cats. Yes some sibs get along with them if raised with them, but they are more inclined to chase them.

They run. Huskies can escape any enclosure you confine them in, they are whip smart and incredible climbers. A good sturdy 6 ft fence is recommended. I have also never met an invisible fence that could pen one in. They typically don't do well off leash. If left unsupervised out doors they will run.

They need a fair amount of exercise, excellent hiking parteners. If you dont love daily walks and jogs, I mean every day rain, snow, or shine, they are not for you.

They normally have excellent temperaments, good with other people and dogs if socialized. They are the worlds worst guard or watch dogs, they just love people!

I would advise adopting an older dog for the first time owner, you can even go to a breed rescue if you are looking for a specific breed, Adult dogs are much easier to handle than puppies. Many times they are house trained, socialized, and know basic obedience. If you do get a puppy be sure to enroll in a puppy kindergarten class for early socialization and training.

• 1 decade ago

i think loki wolfchild as it bang on, ive had dogs all my life from small little yorkies up to german sheps and a hole load in betweeen, i thorght i knew it all and wanted a husky but ended up with a husky and a malamute both are nearly 7 mths old now and ive had them from 11 wks,

they are not for the faint hearted and yes they can scale a 6ft fence and escape from the most secure yard/garden, they do not do as you ask but as they want and can run for england, lucky enough ive not had the full coat blow yet but they are loosing their puupy coat witch is all over the place, these are the hardest dog ive ever owned but on the other side the hours of fun i get from them out weights the bad bits, i think the best thing i can tell you is; if you do get a husky ask the breeder if you can keep intouch if you need any help and dont be afraid to ask these are not the easyiest of dogs to handle and you can not train them like most dogs and they do need a lot of time and exsersize, they can also be one of the worst chewers and distroy your home in minites, so take all that into account if you still want and get one i wish you luck,

Source(s): 1st time husky owner also!
  • 1 decade ago

It's an extremely bad decision to get a husky as a first owner. Those dogs need a tremendous amount of exercise, they're escape artist they can easily jump a 6 food high fence. They're very stubborn and practically impossible to train.

I know people who own a Siberian husky. They have spend I don't know how many afternoon looking for him and they would find him like in the next town.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • unrue
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

nicely your suitable guess would be to discover a husky rescue or respected breeder, yet as a existence long canines proprietor i'll assert what you needless to say do not choose for to hearken to. don't get a husky. I even have owned one earlier, they are very puzzling canines and that i don't think of everybody who hasn't owned a canines earlier could ever get one. that's irresponsible to you and to the canines. No quantity of learn will prepare you for the actuality of being a canines proprietor. think of of it like getting a time-honored automobile, could a time-honored time driving force get a race automobile? of path not! that's ridiculous. once you're impatient and don't intend to make the long term dedication to looking after an greater undemanding breed, evaluate being a foster 'parent' for a on a similar time as. fairly some rescue communities do not very own a glance after or are finished, fosters are stored in someone's homestead till they may well be accompanied out. returned, you are able to attempt to discover a husky particular one. in case you brush aside each and every thing else right here, the single element you do ought to do is take the canines to obedience college. Huskys are quite intelligent on suitable of being obdurate and must be knowledgeable right till you elect for to have your place destroyed. greater importantly that's going to coach YOU on the thank you to work together with your canines. it is likewise an incredible thank you to socialize the canines or maybe meet different canines proprietors who would be effectual materials of advice and counsel. stable success with your new puppy!

• 1 decade ago

Every dog owner has a been a firt-timer once in their life! It's only a bad idea if you don't have the time or energy to care for a dog...or unfortunately, the financial means. Dogs can end up being very expensive if they get sick or hurt. As long as you are consistent with your new dog, you should be able to train it. Enjoy your new best friend.

• 1 decade ago

It's possible, but you'll have to put in loads of work.

Huskies are HIGH energy arctic dogs - they need loads of exercise but depending on where you are you may need to be VERY careful that the dog doesn't overheat. They're also known pullers (it's what they are bred to do.)

They are runners - if they get out, they will run. And run. And run. They are miraculous escape artists as well and need a very secure yard (solid fencing, no chain/tie out or invisible fencing.) They shed like crazy and need daily brushing.

They're also pretty intelligent and need slightly more firm training. They need a "pack leader", not a "parent."

http://www.shca.org/

http://www.shca.org/shcahp2b.htm

Source(s): Owned by Mutt
  • 1 decade ago

my husky was lovely,they do need a lot of excercise,a very secure back garden,they dig very very large deep holes,so do expect to have a nice garden,i would build a large running pen to keep the dog secure and garden safe otherwise.they will chase cats rabbits etc and probably kill them its there instinct.read up lots of info,other than that they the same as any dog.just very loving soppy and totally useless gaurd dogs,they love anyone.

• 4 years ago

In any given situation, focus on what you do want your dog to do instead of on whatever he’s doing wrong. Learn how to train your dog https://tr.im/feKir

For example, suppose that on many evenings, your young dog gets busy looking for trouble just as you’re digesting your dinner. He grabs a boot from the mat by the front door and gallops through the house with it. You yell at him and take it away. He grabs its mate. You yell and take it away. He heads for the kitchen and starts checking out the counters in case something tasty’s been left behind. You chase him away. And on and on, until you’ve lost your temper and torn out clumps of hair you can ill afford to lose.

• 1 decade ago

If there's anybody well placed on this site to answer your question, it's Loki_Wolfchild.

Lindsay B: I think it's reasonable to assume that they mean "Siberian Husky". Have you never made a typing error?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.