Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareAdd-ons · 1 decade ago

Adding a second monitor to a Dell 530?

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 and need to add a second 19 inch monitor. I don't play games on this computer, I use it for day trading. I need to know exactly what I need to do this. I was looking at the nvidia 8400 GS video card. Would I absolutely have to upgrade the power supply? Would I need more memory? I don't know much about computers, I just would like to do this. Thanks for any help.

• koiboy
    Favorite Answer

You don't need to add more memory or upgrade the power supply if you're adding a 2nd monitor to your computer. All you need is the 2nd video card installed in your PC. Once that's in and any drivers that are required are installed, you should be able to plug the 2nd monitor into that video card and start using it. You can set it up in 2 different modes. Using both screens as one big monitor where you can drag the mouse across the screens or have both screens identical to each other. I'm guessing you would prefer the first setup which is explained next.

When the 2nd video card is installed and your PC is booted up and you're logged into Windows, you need to go to an empty area of your screen and right mouse click. Go to Properties and a Display Properties window should pop up. Go to the Settings tab, and you should see a grey area with 2 boxes labeled 1 & 2. Those are your monitors. 1 will be the one that's currently active, you'll need to activate the 2nd monitor by clicking on it, selecting the Screen Resolution (1280x1024) and then checking off the box "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". When you click Apply, the 2nd monitor should come on and you should save this configuration. That's all there is to it to add a 2nd screen to your computer.