What is liability insurance for?

If I drive my cousins car and I get pulled over by a cop and show him my cousins insurance will I get a ticket for not having insurance that's under my name even though I have his insurance?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

If you drive your cousins insured car and you have permission to drive it and have a valid license you should (with rare exceptions) be legal and be covered by his insurance. Understand though that liability insurance only covers the other guy and his property, not you, your passengers and not the (cousins) car itself.

Source(s): I would not drive someone else's car that had only liability on it.
  • 1 decade ago

Liability insurance is in case you cause an accident and cause damage to another persons property. Now for the second question: As long as you are not living at the same address as your cousin, and you have permission to borrow the car, and you have a valid drivers license, you will be insured. However, if the insurance discovers that you drive your cousins car on a regular basis, they may come after you for what they paid out.

• Fred C
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If you are properly licenced, and are merely borrowing your cousin's car, with his permission, you are covered (unless you are, for some reason a prohibited driver on the policy) by his insurance. Insurance goes with the car. I drive other cars regularly, and if I loan my car to someone else, he/she is covered by my policy.

If you are taking the car home, in possession of it for more than 30 days (15 in some states, he needs to check his policy) that is a different story.

If the only insurance is liability, though, that is not car insurance, it doesn't cover any damage or loss to the vehicle, it covers damages done to other persons and their property in an at-fault accident.

• 5 years ago

You can save on your insurance by compare quotes at FREETOINSURE.INFO-

RE What is liability insurance for?

If I drive my cousins car and I get pulled over by a cop and show him my cousins insurance will I get a ticket for not having insurance that's under my name even though I have his insurance?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Generally the state requires the car and not the driver to have insurance on it.

If you are not listed in his policy, I heard cases where the driver who is driving someone else's vehicle will be given citation for driving without car insurance even though the car is insured.

If you do not have a car and you usually drive someone else's vehicle, you will need a non owners policy.

Also, in case you get involved in an accident, theres a possibility that his insurance company will not cover the damages.

• 1 decade ago

Since insurance goes by cars, not by drivers (assuming you are in the US, UK has differing rules) if you have his permission to drive his car, you are covered under his insurance. You may get a ticket for whatever you were pulled over for, but not for not having insurance if you have his card to show.

• 5 years ago

For free insurance quotes

• 1 decade ago

NO, you will not. Just along you have the insurance proof and your identification. The insurance card must be current. Unless you have outstanding warrants, you will be just fine. You can even tell the officer, (even though they are not my favorite), that it is your friends and show the insurance. Good luck! Don't worry, I know the answer, the true answer.

Source(s): Lawyer
  • 1 decade ago

Why would a police officer need to see your insurance if he's just pulling you over?

• 1 decade ago

I assume you have no insurance in your own name ... Are you named on your cousins insurance as a driver covered by his policy? If not, you are driving uninsured and therefore illegally.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.