Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Should I make up a town for my novel or try to write about a currently existing town?

Hi, I am writing a novel, and it's suppose to be a fiction novel, but not sci-fi or fantasy type fiction, just a story of a normal girl. And the setting is suppose to be on Lake Superior, the problem is that I want the town that this girl to live in to be really small (like 200-300 people) and have cliffs and a huge forest, and it's going to be stormy and over-cast most of the time. I am very dead set on keeping the place my story is set in the way i see it in my mind, therefore I have researched and researched about a bunch of small towns and I've never been able to find the perfect place to fit what I am imagining. So i've been thinking about maybe making-up a town to fit my vision, but would that seem to make believe? Because I don't want people criticizing that I'm describing a real place wrong, but I really want to write about what I see in my head. Should I make up a place or just fudge the details of a real place?

Favorite Answer

Make up a town, that way you don't have to get the details just right without people complaining, and that way you can mold the town to your story, instead of molding the story to a real town.

I think you should make up a new town, but you must be careful. Everything you say must be consistent and realistic. Don't hurry, think about how you want your place to be, what should it have and what it shouldn't have. It would be really nice if you could describe it and give lots of details about it, since the reader does not know anything about it.

You are right, if you choose an existing town, then you would need to adapt your story to the actual characteristics of that town, therefore you would ruin your vision.

I think it is very nice that you are writing a novel, very few people do that today. I want to write a novel too, I wish I had the time. Some day I'll do it too. Good Luck!

It's your story so you can set it anywhere you want and make it any way you want. You won't be describing a real place wrong, because you're not describing a real place. But if you say the town is Detroit (a real town) then people will expect you to describe Detroit.

Creat your fake town, give it a fake name, and you're all set. That's what fiction is, after all -- make believe.

• There's a lot of realistic fiction set in places that don't exist in the real world, and in a very small community, there's a tendency for everyone to know everything they can about everyone. It would probably make your story easier to write and a lot more believable if you make up a town.

I suggest that you make one up. Either way will probably give

you the results your looking for. The prevailing advice given

by most professional writers is to write about what you know.

If you are familiar, in depth, with any small town or village you

might make a list of the salient points you want to build into

the story as regards the town.

Also, you could read books written by professionals where

a small town is involved and see what they emphasized.

well if you cant find a place that suites your needs then yes make up a place. but make sure to research if there are cliffs and forest in that part of the region just to stay constant.

i mean you wouldn't write a story about a guy who lives in a desert and theres a forest all of a sudden.

I would do a combination of both. Make up a place, but include details from a real town.

A story is always better when you make up the details because then people don't know what to expect. I think you should make up your little town.

• waylen

each now and additionally then you definately in basic terms would desire to make up your person city. verify that city does not actual exist in the state you're putting it in. do no longer supply it landmarks that actual exist yet do make it real looking adequate to cajole readers to have self assurance it incredibly is actual. Batman has Gothem city, Superman has city, Kim Harrison created the Hollows in basic terms around the bridge from Cincinnati. in case you do create a fiction city anchor it into the section. yet another selection is to locate imaginitive the thank you to no longer call city or state so it must be everywhere. Ellen Schreiber does this ok. actual Blood, the teach, does that for the period of season 3 and it worked for them...

hey, you made up the story right? doesnt the town count as part of the story? well yeah! do what you want, someone criticizes you ya just tell them that they dont know whats goin on in your head.