promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Budget but good photo printer & ink cartridges?

Any photography students out there?

My daughter needs a new printer that can print reasonably good quality photos – the really important stuff she can do in college, but it needs to be better than just illustrations in an essay.

She’s a poor student so can’t afford a lot, preferably under £80. It would be convenient if it had a built in scanner (for desk space) but not essential. The main thing is that the ink cartridges aren’t going to eat up her student loan. We’ve both had problems with compatibles, her with Epson and me with Canon, so preferably one with not ridiculously priced branded ink.

Any recommendations from people printing good photos on a budget?

Update:

I should have mentioned she has a Epson DX7400(?) but the alignment has gone and she also had big problems when using compatible cartridges – this improved when she went back to originals.

I have an oldish Canon Pixma ip4200 and I also went back to original inks after having problems with compatibles. I’m trying new compatibles at the moment with a built in micro-chip but I’m finding skin tones very pink.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hopefully Smedrik will answer and if so she will probable say a Kodak has the cheapest ink. I know nothing about Kodak printers though so see if she answers as she knows her stuff. All ink is way to expensive and that is one thing I do know!

Edit, just saw your edit.

I have the Canon MP 610 - that's what my avatar picture is. I have bought only two cartridges for it since I had it last year- one not even opened. The reason being I refill the cartridges as I have a chip re-setter and I buy ink that is formulated for the model I have and the colours are undetectable from the original. If you buy compatibles the thing to do is to first get a piece of kitchen paper and blot the original ink on it and write original by the side. The when you buy compatibles dab them by the side of original and see if they are a colour match once dry.

If they are or are not then you know either what matchs so you can use them and what ones don't so you can source those colours from somewhere else. That was how I found the ink that I know use as universal kits were making a good printer print not so good. Now I print pictures and very good results are achieved. It costs me 39p to fill each cartridge instead of the £12+ for a new one - and refilling does not damage your printer. I have refilled every printer I have had and never had any problems - bad refilling skills are turned into the fault of refilling by some. The money I have saved in not buying cartridges would pay for several new printers. They say you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince - same with printers and ink I think!

2nd edit

This place sells compatables for your printer just £1.99 each. You could ask them if they are chipped first and try just one colour at a time.

http://www.phoenixdirectukshop.co.uk/acatalog/Cano...

And these are just ove £2 each.

http://www.inkntoneruk.co.uk/printers/canon-ip4000...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I've got a Hewlett Packard psc1215 all in one printer £20 off ebay (including postage). it's a scanner and colour printer and does decent quality photos. second hand printers cost next to nothing so I'd recommend that rather than buying a new one.

you could try www.freecycle.org. This is a site where people give stuff away that they don't need anymore and I know someone who managed to get a printer for nothing from here.

Definitely don't go to anywhere like PC World, Currys or Dixons as they're a rip off.

replacement ink cartridges can be a major running cost, getting them refilled rather than buying new ones will save a lot of money. you can take them to a cartridge shop and have them done for a few quid or if you're really on a budget then you can buy your own re-fill kits. Personally I find re-fill kits too much of a hassle so take them to the shop to be done.

hope this helps.

• 1 decade ago

Correct -- all printers produce more than adequate quality these days .. base your decision on cost of printing (using compatible Ink cartridges).

Epson & Lexmark/Dell have a reputation for very high ink cost, HP has a reputation for making it almost impossible to use 'compatible cartridges' (and fitting 'half capacity' cartridges in new printers) and Canon is known for wasting ink .. so take your pick ..

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Go here for the best photography course: http://photography-course.info

You can be like the masses of humanity and buy a camera you can afford that has auto this and that for worry free picture taking. And learn through trial and error how to use something like aperture or shutter priority auto modes or even attempt to use the thing on full manual mode.

You seem to know already there is some thinking to using a camera and to take pictures. A good place to start is by reading the owners manual that comes with a camera. Read the information and look at the illustrations with part names and look at the real camera. Handle the camera and take pictures. Let me rephrase that. Take pictures to learn how to use the camera and maybe even to keep some. Don't start with important stuff you cannot photograph over again such as birthdays, a toddlers first steps. That puts picture taking out of the learning phase and puts the pressure and emphasis to taking pictures for real and to keep.

These first pictures are for you to learn how to use your camera. And you have learned how to use your camera when you can take pictures with it and can teach others how to use it. Honest. You can also go to a college in your area and take a beginning photography course. There you will be taught the basics even a pro must learn and do in their work. Camera handling and use, taking exposures with film and/or digital cameras, and maybe even some photo assignments to get some real time learning. In this learning do not take serious pictures you must keep as that detracts from the learning aspect of the class. Do so only if you have mastered the use of your camera before class is over.

It's like growing up in a way. And I am happy you know there is a way to learn how to use a camera and take pictures. It's like learning how to drive I suppose. Someone can teach you or you can get taught at a driving school. Both will get you a drivers liscense. One though will really teach you the fundamentals you can use for the rest of your driving career.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I've been using the Canon Pixma160 for a couple of years, as always the cartridges don't last long enough but the quality is more than decent, even on budget photo paper.

The overall size of the 160 is more than I would like but it does have built in scanner and since the model is a couple of years old, they probably have an updated (and hopefully smaller) version.

• 1 decade ago

Epson sx200 printer scanner and copy all in one the ink comes in separate colours to run so it does work out cheaper and if you go to ukdvdr.co.uk you will get the ink cheaper.I have this printer and I do loads of photos

• 1 decade ago

You can search for the cartridges for the best online deal at cheapinkcartridges.com. They compare pricing of various online shops.

Also they have a nice reviews of several popular printers so you can pick the one in your budget.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This site contains photography tutorials and courses for you to study at your own pace. https://tr.im/XagSc

To get started, all you need is a camera, whether it be the latest digital camera or a traditional film-based apparatus!

Read about what is ISO, aperture and exposure. Discover different types of lenses and flash techniques. Explore portrait photography, black and white photography, HDR photography, wedding photography and more.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

there is an excellent list of top photo printers here:

http://www.castleink.com/_Top10InkjetPrinters.html

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.