Budget but good photo printer & ink cartridges?

Any photography students out there? My daughter needs a new printer that can print reasonably good quality photos – the really important stuff she can do in college, but it needs to be better than just illustrations in an essay. She’s a poor student so can’t afford a lot, preferably under £80. It would be... show more Any photography students out there?
My daughter needs a new printer that can print reasonably good quality photos – the really important stuff she can do in college, but it needs to be better than just illustrations in an essay.
She’s a poor student so can’t afford a lot, preferably under £80. It would be convenient if it had a built in scanner (for desk space) but not essential. The main thing is that the ink cartridges aren’t going to eat up her student loan. We’ve both had problems with compatibles, her with Epson and me with Canon, so preferably one with not ridiculously priced branded ink.
Any recommendations from people printing good photos on a budget?
Update: I should have mentioned she has a Epson DX7400(?) but the alignment has gone and she also had big problems when using compatible cartridges – this improved when she went back to originals. I have an oldish Canon Pixma ip4200 and I also went back to original inks after having problems with compatibles. I’m trying... show more I should have mentioned she has a Epson DX7400(?) but the alignment has gone and she also had big problems when using compatible cartridges – this improved when she went back to originals.
I have an oldish Canon Pixma ip4200 and I also went back to original inks after having problems with compatibles. I’m trying new compatibles at the moment with a built in micro-chip but I’m finding skin tones very pink.
7 answers 7