my parents wont let me buy an m rated game what to do?

i have saved enough monet to buy an xbox controller, xbox live, and call of duty 5. I can buy xbox live and the controller, but my parents wont let me buy the gane because its rated M, what should I do?

Best Answer

Teach your parents a little bit more about how the ESRB rates their games, because it's much different than how movies are rated, and that's usually what parents are thinking when they see an ESRB rating.

The ESRB puts a LOT of games under the M rating, but they also provide the reasons for the rating (ie. the content of the game). Call of Duty 5 for Xbox has Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, and Strong Language, which your parents may still object to, and they have every right to do so.

However, a game like Call of Duty is also placed under the same M rating as GTA4, which contains Nudity, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Drugs and Alchohol, etc. Any decent parent would immediately object to GTA4, but yet it's given the same rating as Call of Duty, which doesn't even contain half the reasons GTA4 has.

So to recap, my advice would be to try and educate your parents on how the ESRB handles their ratings, and what it is that the parents should actually be looking for when judging the content of the game.

Source(s): www.esrb.org

I completely understand. A lot of my games I wanted for my PS2 I had to wait years to get. It was worth it. Here's some ideas:

Tell your parents that just because it's rated M doesn't mean you're not mature enough to get it. Prove yourself.

If they still aren't phased, look on the bright side: when you are old enough to get the game, it will probably be on sale and out for a lot cheaper, but, for now, there are plenty of games out there. Hope this helped!

wait until your 18 or 21 whatever M is rated at.

convince them it will help u in some way.

e.g helps me relax

find a game that isn't rated M and buy that instead

Tell them it's only rated M because of a tiny, tiny bit more blood than the other ones, or borrow it from a friend.

Hope this helps!

Source(s): Life.

Play other games. Those ratings are there specifically for this reason: so parents can judge whether or not it would be suitable for their children. When you're older they may let you play more mature games and when you're old enough you could buy them yourself.

That really sux. you should show them that its not a bad game. my parents usually let me get it if theres not too much language and no nudity. and none of that is in cod 5 so i dont see any reason why u shouldnt be able to. p.s. its only m-rated because people swear a couple minor swears in the background and theres blood. but if u wanna compare games with blood then show ur parents "Gears of war 2" and compare the blood in that with cod 5. that should make them cave in. oh yeah and theres a guy smoking a cigarette in it. not bad. you see worse stuff on neopets. jk. but w/e. try that

Get older. :P

In all seriousness, if you're not old enough, bummer for you, perhaps you could play it at a friend's or something... Or you could buy another game...

get some friends over 17. or ask another relative who would buy it for you. maybe a grandparent because they always give in to things like that.

Prove to them that you are mature enough to handle the game.

either buy it with out them knowing or wait untill your older enoth or try to convince them to say yes