Are Catholics going over the top with "Angels and Demons"?

I'm a huge fan of the book Angels and Demons so me and the guys were talking about it at the gym.

When we left to our cars, two guys and one woman came out and followed us.

They told us not to watch the movie because it has a bad message.

We told them that it was fiction and just entertainment. Everyone knows that it isn't true.

As the conversation continued, one guy told us that if it was up to him, he would beat everyone who was going to watch it.

--------------

The question is on the top. I'm just incredibly angry at why someone would have a reaction like that over a book I really love.

If anyone wants to know, I'm Jewish.

Paulcyp: They told us that in the conversation. They actually also told us where their parish was.

Anyways, I'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm trying to understand this from a Catholic point of view.

Thanks for those who answered. It helped clear it out.

Favorite Answer

Catholics know it's fiction. The problem is that many are *ignorant* on the subject and actually DO believe this to be true (not fiction). That is why some Catholics are reacting this way. Quite honestly? I understand why it could be interpreted that way, to someone who doesn't know about the RCC and already feels empathy towards what they *think* the RCC teaches. I also can understand the Catholic Church's fear.

Source(s): Pagan (who studied Catholicism for 19 years)

I'm going to assume that you're telling the truth and not just trolling, although there is still some doubt in my mind about that. I'm not trying to offend you either if you're sincere, but trolling is a popular pastime around this Forum.

*If* it happened as you say it did, then I want to apologize for the poor behavior of fellow Catholics. No matter how much someone may dislike or disagree with a particular subject, they have no right to threaten someone else with a beating.

And having said that, I also want to add that the trouble with the DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons is not that Catholics believe they're true. (Slanderous, yes, but not true.) The problem is that we will now spend months dealing with people who *do* believe every word is true and who will use what they're just sure they know about the Church to attack Catholics.

Every day here, we're told that our church is the Whore of Babylon, the Pope is the Anti-Christ, we worship Mary and statues, etc . All Dan Brown's books and films do is add to the already overflowing pile of lies, slanders, and misconceptions people have about Catholicism.

Again, my apologies for the poor treatment you received at the hands of those who should know better.

Source(s): Catholic convert
  • Ed H

If it was a fictional story of Jews or Blacks or even Muslims having a secret society and murdering people worldwide for centuries and ready to destroy the world and were portrayed as the evilest of all people, it would be seen quite differently. This is a slander and intended that way. Inevitably people will strain to see what truth is in it.

If you could substitute another group in the book, I think it would be seen quite differently. Why? Because the reality is that we are enmeshed in a society that doesn't have an understanding of Catholicism and doesn't really care too. It is a society with rose-colored glasses that see themselves as having no problem at all.

yeah, thats weak....i wouldnt say Catholics as a whole are going over the top (I am a Catholic)....but there are always those boneheads...sorry dude, on behalf of the church incarnate.

i read his books. great works of fiction. problem is too many idiots believe it is somehow based on fact. not the problem of the book per se, but the general intelligence of the reader.

For example, Opus Dei is just a group of old men, nothing much more than that. Yet how many people somehow figure its a sinister organization based on their reading of a fictional novel?

boneheads exist in all faiths. one has only to look at the baptists who protest at military funerals saying the service member didnt die for his country, but was killed by God because he hates gays. Are all baptists like this? No...,

Look at the christians who attack the Church with a vitriol that never ceases to surprise. Are all protestants this misinformed and hateful? no. of course not.

if you know these books are fiction, awesome. If you think for a minute any of it is true, deduct 10 points from your last IQ score.

Yes, Catholics are going over the top on this... just like you said. But I think it's mostly fundamental Catholics who listen to the clergy. I'm Catholic & all my Catholic friends think that Angels & Demons, along with The Da Vinci Code, are entertaining stories. And yes, we do know that it's all fiction but the Vatican seems somewhat insecure over this because of all the simple minded people who believe that it's all true. I find the whole fiasco over this laughable.

I think they were over the top, especially the beatdown comment.

However, Dan Brown, while saying the book is fiction, likes to speak ambiguously enough so there are dozens of people who still take it to be somewhat true.

I liked Angels and Demons, but if i was a little less informed, I might've thought there was more to it.

As a preface, I'm Catholic, and this is just my $.02.

I quite enjoyed Brown's novels. I recognize that they are fictional novels though. There are many factual and historical inaccuracies (there are no monks in Opus Dei, incorrect number of glass panes in the pyramid, etc), but these inaccuracies are necessary for the plot line to work.

Brown is a fantastic writer. His books draw you into the story and have great plot twists. The problem is that some people fail to understand that his work is fiction, and is no more true than "The Little Mermaid".

I think people get confused over fiction/reality because Brown uses real places, references real people, and puts his own creative twist on historical events.

The guy who told you he would like to hurt people for seeing the movie is quite obviously not being a good example of Catholic's belief of turning the other cheek and being kind to your enemies.

Had I been there are the time I might have either ignored him or quoted one of the following:

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another (John 13:34).

But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you (Luke 6:27-28).

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord. On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good (Romans 12:17-21).

Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing (1 Peter 3:9).

Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble (1 John 2:9-10).

• Daver

Angels and Demons is the sequel to "The Da Vinci Code" - both are blatantly anti-Catholic/Christian pieces and should be shunned by Catholic and non-Catholic Christians.

It makes no difference that Angels and Demons is fiction - it is still anti-Catholic Christian.

The Old Testament speaks of angels often;

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=angels...

As I understand it, demons are fallen angels.

I have no knowledge of how the Catholics view this subject.

My niece got really angry with me when I critiqued a series of books she loved, but we worked through that. My question would be why get so angry about it? Is it a matter of life and death, or is it something you can let go? Choose your battles.

That sounds pretty bad, I mean, I didn't go around punching out Catholics for going to see the PASSION OF THE (anti) CHRIST and supporting Mel (anti-semite) Gibson... now did I? I think that this movie much worse than some fictional story Dan Brown made up.