Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

What are the secondary and tertiary consumers of oceans?

Hi, I was working on the ocean ecosystem. So far, I have the producers and primary done. I was wondering what are the secondary and tertiary consumers of oceans? Thanks so much.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • May
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The ocean is home to a myriad of life forms. So, where to begin? Well..

At the very bottom of the food chain are the producers, single-celled organisms that can make their own food. By using energy they absorb from sunlight, they take simple compounds from the water that they've absorbed through their cell walls and convert them into stored energy as sugar.

Next in the chain are the animals that feed on phytoplankton. They are the primary consumers, or the first consumers in the food chain. Then come the organisms that feed on the primary consumers, known as secondary consumers.

Finally, there are the tertiary consumers, the large fish and mammals that feed on the secondary consumers.

Primary consumer-- Squid, any crustaceans, etc smaller fish like sardines

Secondary consumer- Tuna, dolphines, bigger fish to eat the smaller, turtles

Tertirary consumer- Sharks, killer whales, whales

=)

Source(s): studied ecology last week
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Secondary Consumers In The Ocean

• kt
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Secondary consumers are animals that eat the primary consumers, and tertiary ones eat the secondary.

So, if the primary consumers are small zooplankton, the secondary ones would be small fish, like menhaden, which would in turn be eater by larger game fish, liked striped bass or tuna.

Source(s): Campbell & Reece, Biology, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menhaden
  • 4 years ago

producers are marine algae, phytoplankton, diatom Primary consumers, zooplankton, shrimp, snail secondary consumers, sea angel, crab, tertiary consumers, sharks larger fish, turtles

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.