How much do car dealerships actually mark up new cars & trucks?

My question comes from a conversation with friends over the government bailout of the automakers. One of my friends used to be part owner in a GM dealership that went down a few years ago. He said that the dealership would usually get an invoice from the manufacturer that would include at least a 50% mark-up. There... show more My question comes from a conversation with friends over the government bailout of the automakers. One of my friends used to be part owner in a GM dealership that went down a few years ago. He said that the dealership would usually get an invoice from the manufacturer that would include at least a 50% mark-up. There would also be a MSRP sticker posted on the vehicle that would have a 100% mark-up on the price that would give the dealer plenty of room for haggle and still make a strong profit. So,,,,, what is the truth?