Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBoxing · 1 decade ago

Is boxing big or popular in Japan?

Is boxing popular in Japan? If so who is there champ?

I mean I think every country has a best in every sport...

I want there best boxer to fight Manny Pacqiauo =D

in 140lbs =D

• Favorite Answer

Boxing isn't a popular sport in Japan although Pacquiao would be popular to the Filipino community.

Japan's popular sport would be Sumo Wrestling.

As manny is top p4p i think the only competition worht seeing for him is mayweather jr.

There are some others but that is a fight i would pay to see.

Most japanese boxers dont leave japan because they are not world class fighters.

~I reckon here in england boxing is about 5 or 6 in a list of top sports.

• Pamela

The high popularity animes like Naruto and Bleach and One Piece usually introduce people to the anime/manga genre Being the mainstream animes it's pretty much what everyone watches initially (along with Dragonball Z, Inuyasha, in the 90s) Then they move onto other less well known animes

No is not!

In Japan MMA is huge specially when they had Pride organization which was bigger than UFC,also Kickboxing (K-1) and Judo their national sport are popular !Boxing even tho Japan has produce many champions in low divisions is not even in top 15 popular sports of the country believe it or not!

Source(s): They made in my main country Greece a poll for most popular sports (30) and BOXING RANKED 28TH i was so dissapointed lol
  • ML

Hehe... I assume you're a Filipino and hold a grudge against Japan :P It would be silly setting up something like that, I've not heard of any world-class Japanese boxer recently, so it would probably be a total mismatch.