Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What happened to the separation of Church and State?

Churches do not pay taxes and the state cant influence or interfer with a church in any way,shape or form.... BUT Churches can voice opinions regarding Laws. Case in point Prop (H)8.The Churches spent MILLIONS to make sure that gays could NOT get married.Why can they influence state laws but the state can not influence them or dictate to them how they should be?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Shhh
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The separation of church and state is a catch-22 filled with hypocrisy. No one seems to be able to answer why. Most simply suggest the separation of church and state was created to prevent government interference with church affairs. What they fail to realize is it is also worded that government will not make laws with respect to any established religion. In other words, the law was fully intended to make our nation a secular nation where church and state would always practice and be run separately without either dictating to the other. Unfortunately, the law never fully works the way it was intended.

*Edit for answer below mine*

coffee_pot12,

Are you serious? So, Focus on the Family (a religious Organization founded by a church) and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are "the people"? So, gays and lesbians and atheists and agnostics and others who don't agree with those churches and organizations are not the people??? You kid me, right? We the people doesn't say or mean "we the Christian people who belong to a church that seeks to promote our opinion and agenda". We the people is all the people. Gays, lesbians, heterosexuals, Christians, atheists, agnostics, Jews, and so on and so on and so on. Stop leaving the people out of we the people. Stop confusing a church with the people. Some or even many of the people may be a part of a church. But the church is not the people.

qslkb9mkb,

The first Amendment to the Constitution is worded in such a way that one can clearly see and understand the intention of a separation of church and state. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof".. No law respecting an establishment of religion.. So, by making a law that respects a religious view or position, this law is violated. All laws must be stemmed from a clear and concise position of secular. Otherwise the charge of respecting a religion can easily be seen in violation of the first amendment and thus there indeed is written within our laws a separation of church and state.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

First of all the "Wall of separation between church and state" is not in the Constitution. It was in a letter from Jefferson to the Danbury Baptists assuring them they would not be infringed upon by the Government.

People of various faiths, atheists, etc. are allowed to do all they can to influence government. Some would argue that atheism is a faith, as they can not prove there ISN"T a god. Yet they get to be the main "religion" or philosophy taught in our public schools.

All people have a world view/ life philosophy, even if it does not included a deity. Each person has a right to assert their views and political beliefs, even if they are based on their religious faith, just as much as those that do not have a religious faith.

Would it be fair to say that only atheists can run for office, vote, write their elected officials, or speak their political opinion?

Consider the opposite.....only Christians could vote,.....etc.

You would be hopping mad if that were the case!

Also, the state can not dictate your conscience and beliefs either. Again,...would you want them to tell you that you MUST be Christian, or attend church.......etc.?

• 1 decade ago

The politicians and the church are hand in hand now/Whatever happened?The SEPERATION between Church and State belongs to the ages now-it's History.

• 1 decade ago

Sorry Fireball, churches are not non-profit and the USA's government frequently does push Christianity, although usually Christianity in general rather than a specific denomination.

I support taxation of churches, and perhaps I would also if I was a believer. Taxation can be regarded as a seal of legitimacy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • sprcpt
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The religious that lobby government to change laws to fit religion have no goal other than to replace what little religious freedom that we have left with theocratic rule.

Let's just call it Taliban lite, until it gets worse.

Churches are a for profit business, tax them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I ask myself the same question every time see the script, "In God We Trust" on my money.

I ask myself the same question which the country I live in is "One Nation Under God"

Oh, no, no, no religion isn't being pushed on anyone....nooooooo

there wasn't ever any separation of Church and State to begin with!

• Mythos
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Religion and its expression are Constitutional rights; it does not mean that religious people ceased being tax-paying voters.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If She gets elected Sarah Palin happened.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Americans allowed the disease of fundamentalism to infect our government with stupidity and bigotry.

In the last two major elections Americans voted that we want the ignorant fundies out of our government for good.

• 1 decade ago

people vote, people pay taxes, people pray...we the people of these united states of america.....

people of God are the church, it is not a building or an organization, it is the voice of the people....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.